Re: How to import .ovpn file

Hi,

Thanks for all the answers. Long story short: I've found the way to
import and sorry for asking. Below in this email the explanation of
where I was looking for!

On Feb/24/2020, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Sun, 2020-02-23 at 21:50 +0100, Carles Pina i Estany via

I have a network-manager-openvpn question, if this is not the best
place
to ask please let me know.

This is the right place.

good! :-)

I use network-manager-openvpn on Debian version 1.8.10-1.

The last time that I wanted to import a .ovpn file I was not able to
find the option

I don't know. You don't menion with GUI nor where you looked.

On Fedora, the nm-openvpn package is split in two parts:
NetworkManager-openvpn and NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome. You need the
"gnome" package to import the ovpn file in nm-connection-editor and
gnome-control-center.

for the record: same in Debian:
network-manager-openvpn
network-manager-openvpn-gnome

 and I ended up splitting the .ovpn file in files and
then I did the configuration manually.

Import only creates the profile for convenience, you can achieve the
same thing by explicitly configuring it (manually). So, that's fine,
albeit inconvenient.

As such, there is also no fundamental difference which GUI or method
you use to create a profile.

Btw, there is also `nmcli connection import`. That only requires the
NetworkManager-openvpn core package.

Do you know if this is possible in the GUI, or going to be possible?

It's possible.

Ok, and I've found how. Sorry for the question - in the past I didn't
find it.

I used to click (translating from my locale to English):
-Click on the network-manager on my toolbar
-Click on VPN connections
-Setup VPN
In here it opens "Network connections" dialogue and I click on "+"
-(here I was going wrong!) In the combobox I need to scroll down and I always selected "OpenVPN", it seems
that I never scrolled down!
-Click on "Create"

I've always searched for the ovpn importer here in the dialogue when I
was setting up the VPN

Today I learnt that in the Combobox that I select "OpenVPN" and then
create there is an entry that says "Import VPN configuration" and that I
can import an .ovpn file there.

(I've also learnt the nmcli connection import")

It seems to work for me, I'll do more tests to see if I have the same
problems as Greg.

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany