Re: Setup for multiple different gsm.sim-operator-id?

On Wed, 2019-09-04 at 21:59 +0200, Einar Jón wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 17:11, Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com>
wrote:
On Wed, 2019-09-04 at 16:46 +0200, Einar Jón via networkmanager-
list
wrote:
Hello

A bit of a newbie question, but is it possible to set up
NetworkManager to use (one of) multiple SIM cards?

We have an embedded (headless) device that can use a few
different
operators. Only one will be used at a time, but I can't be
certain
which one.
So having them all somehow available would be preferred.

Basically, I'd like to set up a connection that has 5 blocks of
values of
gsm.sim-operator-id=12345
gsm.apn=myapn
gsm.username=user
gsm.password=hunter2
Everything else should be the same.

Then it connects using the APN of the sim-operator-id that
matches
the
"operator id" that I get from "mmcli -m <number>"

What is a sensible way to handle multiple mobile operators in
NetworkManager?
I have access to nmcli and nmtui, but no graphical tools.

Hi,

I think that is not possible, you would need a different connection
profile for each operator.

I was thinking of doing that, creating profiles
modem12345.nmconnection
modem22334.nmconnection
modem556677.nmconnection
etc...

But grabbing
IMSI=$(mmcli -m XX| awk /operator id/ ...)
and calling
nmcli c do-stuff modem$IMSI
seems to be the wrong way to use NetworkManager.

Hi,

I think you would create each profile only once.

Afterwards, you should be able to

  nmcli device connect $MODEM

and then (depending on the SIM), only one of the profiles is a
suitable candidate to activate. You can set properties in the profile
that tie to the operator, can't you?

The only problem is that you have a larger number of profiles,
and that you need to create them (once).

Note there is merge-request [1]. If that gets merged, the APN
settings
would be automatically read from the mobile-broadband-provider-info
file. That should solve your issue in a different way.

[1]
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/merge_requests/98

That might work. If I can put my own apns and passwords in the
mobile-broadband-provider-info file I'd get the same result.
I guess I could just play around with the patches a bit.

best,
Thomas

--
Regards