Re: Network Manager 1.10.14 - DNS regression

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 04:48:14PM +0200, Till Kamppeter via networkmanager-list wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with network-manager 1.10.14. We have introduced this
version as a stable release update to Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) and fixing
several bugs of the old 1.10.6 it introduced regressions with DNS. It seems
to have problems with DNS priority.

A regression report with appropriate logs is here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1829566

As the problems do not occur with Network Manager in later Ubuntu versions
(like Eoan) it seems that the problem got fixed somewhere in the upstream
code.

Can someone help me which changes of the further upstream development I
should apply to 1.10.14 to get this fixed?

Hi,

the domain specification in the configuration reported on launchpad:

 [Resolve]
 Cache=no
 DNS=127.0.0.54
 Domains=~.local.org.com

is invalid:

 systemd-resolved[13415]: Failed to add search domain '~.local.org.com', ignoring: Invalid argument

The correct form should be without the dot:

 Domains=~local.org.com

Can you ask to fix that configuration error and try again? Otherwise,
queries for the local.org.com domain are not routed to the local
dnsmasq instance.

Beniamino