Re: Pantech UML290 - 106c:3718 - QMI Modem

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver greg gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Aleksander Morgado
<aleksander aleksander es> wrote:

I have a Pantech UML290 LTE USB modem that talks QMI on my host.  I am
having an issue setting the APN (and it appears PPP options when not
LTE) for this device.

When the device is not plugged in and I use nm-connection-editor to
create a
new MobileBroadband connection, I can select Verizon LTE and choose my
need to connect to (it is an APN of a provider that uses VZ's network).
When I plug the modem in, that connection is not available to use on the
device (I did select "Any Device" for mobile broadband device), but it
not show.

If I create the connection after it is plugged in and all of the devices
created wwan0, /dev/cdc-wdm0, then I cannot enter an APN manually - the
skips right over it.  I compared the 2 connection entries on the
and the one I cannot select the APN on is using CDMA and dialing the
CDMA ppp number (#777).

Any idea how I can get this to use the LTE network and still select an

What ModemManager version are you using? What's the output of "mmcli
-m 0" when you plug in the device?

[greg@dell-wifi ~]$ sudo mmcli -L

Found 1 modems:
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 [QUALCOMM INCORPORATED] 42

[greg@dell-wifi ~]$ sudo mmcli -m 0

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 (device id
  Hardware |   manufacturer: 'QUALCOMM INCORPORATED'
           |          model: '42'
           |       revision: 'L0290VWBB12F.248  1  [Nov  9 2011 08:44:21]'
           |      supported: 'gsm-umts
           |                  cdma-evdo
           |                  lte
           |                  cdma-evdo, gsm-umts
           |                  gsm-umts, lte
           |                  cdma-evdo, lte
           |                  cdma-evdo, gsm-umts, lte'
           |        current: 'cdma-evdo'

So this is being managed in QMI, which is ok, but as seen above the
"current" mode is limited to cdma-evdo for some reason (i.e. no LTE).

Can you try to run this?
mmcli -m 0 --set-current-capabilities="cdma-evdo|lte"

The device should reboot after that; then re-run "mmcli -m X" (X will
likely be 1 after the reboot) and see if the "current" field shows
"lte" as well.

           |   equipment id: '990000479466114'
  System   |         device: '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-1'
           |        drivers: 'cdc_acm, qcaux, qmi_wwan'
           |         plugin: 'Pantech'
           |   primary port: 'cdc-wdm0'
           |          ports: 'ttyUSB0 (qcdm), cdc-wdm0 (qmi), wwan0 (net),
ttyACM0 (at)'
  Numbers  |           own : '0000000345'
  Status   |           lock: 'none'
           | unlock retries: 'unknown'
           |          state: 'enabled'
           |    power state: 'on'
           |    access tech: 'unknown'
           | signal quality: '0' (recent)
  Modes    |      supported: 'allowed: 2g; preferred: none
           |                  allowed: 3g; preferred: none
           |                  allowed: 2g, 3g; preferred: none
           |                  allowed: 2g, 3g; preferred: 2g
           |                  allowed: 2g, 3g; preferred: 3g
           |                  allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: none'
           |        current: 'allowed: 2g, 3g; preferred: none'
  Bands    |      supported: 'cdma-bc0-cellular-800, cdma-bc1-pcs-1900, dcs,
egsm, pcs, g850, u2100, u1900, u850, u900'
           |        current: 'cdma-bc0-cellular-800, cdma-bc1-pcs-1900, dcs,
egsm, pcs, g850, u2100, u1900, u850, u900'
  IP       |      supported: 'ipv4'
  CDMA     |           meid: 'unknown'
           |            esn: '808A0AA9'
           |            sid: 'unknown'
           |            nid: 'unknown'
           |   registration: CDMA1x 'unknown'
           |                 EV-DO  'unknown'
           |     activation: 'unknown'
  SIM      |           path: 'none'

  Bearers  |          paths: 'none'

For this device, it should report it supports both 3GPP (e.g. lte) and
3GPP2 (e.g. cdma/evdo) capabilities. For the former you need to
specify an APN, for the latter, you don't. In this case, the GUI
should allow you to specify the APN as all your connection requests
should go in the same way regardless of access tech.

If you say it's defaulting to PPP on #777 it may not be doing
correctly the QMI probing for some reason. Debug logs would help, see:

That's a lot of info - found here ::

Thanks for your help - if GUI screenshots would help to see what is
happening, just let me know and I will upload some there as well.



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]