Re: Port NetworkManager to meson

On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 13:40 +0100, Iñigo Martínez wrote:
Hi all,

These past few months I have been porting some libraries and
applications to meson build system[0], within the "MesonPorting"
initiative[1] that tries to port packages under GNOME umbrella to
meson.

As you may know, meson is a new build system which offers some
benefits over autotools, of which I would like to highlight the
following: it's very user friendly and usually, faster.

The fact that NetworkManager is quite large, and due to the effort it
would require to port it to meson, I would like to know if including
meson as build system could be interesting.

Please let me know any comment or suggestion you may have.

Thanks!

[0] http://mesonbuild.com/
[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/MesonPorting

Hi,

it seems that meson could significantly speed up the build,
which would be a very interesting thing to have.

Yes, we want to port to meson, but due to the amount of work, nobody
started doing that (yet).

Patches very welcome!

best,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I've already started looking at it, that's when I noticed the amount
of work to be done. I'll resume my work and try to get as far as
possible.

Any suggestion or comment would be very appreciated.

Best regards,