Re: Network manager auto-upgraded, ppp no longer connects.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:51:05AM -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2017-01-18 at 16:36 -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:52:42AM -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
Ok good, this helps.  It seems we need to be in mode 2 before we
can
get anything useful.  The +CIND response is especially useful,
since we
can see that yours indicates the device has service.

Also, you you try:

From mode 2:

AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,1

OK

AT+CREG=?

+CREG: (0-1)

OK

Thanks!
Dan

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Excellent, assuming we can trust the mode=2 CREG response, that means
you're registered with the network.  CIND also indicates that you have
service and that you're not roaming.

Is there any chance you can move the phone to a location that has no
service (a basement, elevator, etc) and check what the result is when

The best I could do was wrap the phone in multiple layers of aluminum
foil and connect that to the ground of a 3-prong AC socket.  The
resistance between the aluminum foil and the screw driver stuck in the
wall (with copper ground wire in between) is about 0.5 ohm.

the phone isn't registered?  I can sometimes do this by putting the
laptop and phone into the clothes washing machine in my basement, since
I don't have a faraday cage lying around :)

With the grounded aluminum foil, this is what I get (from mode 2):

AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,1

OK
AT+CREG=?
+CREG: (0-1)

OK

This is the same I got without the aluminum foil, so either the aluminum
foil isn't enough, or those commands are useless.  More likely the
former since I can still connect ppp (see below).

AT+CIND
ERROR

The above I hadn't tried without the aluminum foil.  Then I got back to
mode 0 and connected ppp (via pon).  It could do all the steps, got the
local and remote ip addresses and the 2 name servers.  All this with the
phone in a big bundle of grounded aluminum foil.  My improvised faraday
cage is a big failure.

Dan

Sorry this test didn't provide useful info.

Augustine