Re: Disable autoconnect for new wifi connections by default

On Mon, 2017-01-30 at 23:17 +0100, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
On 2017-01-28 17:57, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Sat, 2017-01-28 at 17:29 +0100, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
Hi,

I would like to disable autoconnect for new wifi connections by
default.
I prefer to control when my device is connected to public/shared
wifi
which identity cannot be determined ultimately (aka fake networks
with
well known ssid).

I know I can do it manually via UI or nmcli, but I would prefer
configure it once (in the way as cloned-mac-address in global
configuration) and only enable autoconnect for well know (and
properly
configured - with certificates) networks.

Two questions:
1. Is it currently possible? 'device' section doesn't seem to
accept
that property.

It's not possible, only the properties mentioned in `man
NetworkManager.conf` support to have their default values
overwritten.

Note that these default-values are only a fallback setting.
That is, the connection is still fully determined by the client
(nmcli). But it may explicitly configure certain properties as
~unspecified~ to allow for a fallback.

In case of connection.autoconnect, it only allows for "yes" or
"no".
There is no space to express ~unspecified~.

That was something I had suspected. Would it be hard to allow
connection.autoconnect to be defined for the device to make it
possible
to change the default value (here - do not autoconnect by default)
for
*new* networks (and their implicitly created connections)?

I realize it would not rather be a commonly used feature, but IMHO it
would be a good companion to already implemented MAC spoofing
support.

Hi,

as the existing "connection.autoconnect" property cannot be extended
without breaking backward compatibility, it would need a new option
"connection.autoconnect-new" with a tri-state and a default of ~unset~.
If the new property is explicitly set, it would over-rule the
deprecated property.
If it is left ~unset~, it would lookup global configuration, which may
over-rule the deprecated property.
Only when no global configuration is present, it would fallback to the
"connection.autoconnect".

nmcli and the UIs could hide the fact that from the user. But on D-Bus
API and for libnm library it could not be hidden.

That is quite cumbersome to implement and document in the API, but
doable.

Thomas

2. How can I read/list default configuration for new wifi
connections
(e.g. wifi.cloned-mac-address - nmcli allows that only for
existing
connections, not devices)?

nmcli still shows you the value ~unspecified~, and that correct.
The
value is only determined when needed -- which for example depends
on the device on which you activate the connection.

It's not possible to see via D-Bus (clients) which value the server
would use when needed.

Try:
  /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --print-config

Thanks. With that I can see global configuration of NM.

Marcin