Re: Disable autoconnect for new wifi connections by default

On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 00:59 +0100, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 00:37 +0100, dennis knorr wrote:
Hi,

On 31.01.2017 20:07, Dan Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2017-01-28 at 17:29 +0100, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
Hi,

I would like to disable autoconnect for new wifi connections by
default.
I prefer to control when my device is connected to
public/shared
wifi
which identity cannot be determined ultimately (aka fake
networks
with
well known ssid).

NM will never connect to a network that you have not at least
once
connected to.  So if you never pick the network from the menu, NM
will
never automatically connect to it.

Dan, are you sure that is the case?

If you for example create a new connection with autoconnect=yes, it
will start autoconnecting right away.

I was unclear.  You're correct, there must be _configuration_ for that
network, whether that configuration is side-loaded by an administrator,
or whether it is created by the user clicking a GUI applet.

What I meant was that NM will never randomly connect to a network;
there must always be some user interaction for that specific network
(either config or applet) before NM will do anything.

This is in contrast to the iOS or MacOS feature for "automatically
connect to open networks".

Dan

Thomas

But this would be a good thing, if the administrator could deploy
network-configurations and say: "autoconnect to these networks, if
available".

We deploy several networks preconfigured and that would be very
useful.
Is there a deeper design-decision behind not doing it?

It is not used as an safety-mechanism, but as an convenience
mechanism,
that the user does not has to decide or manually interact with the
network configuration.

Dennis