try dhcp but fallback to static/ll

Hi everybody.

I'm trying to use nm in an embedded device without direct user interface, so to manage networking from inside my application. For the first step I'm figuring out how to do things with nmcli. When I have time I will try to use DBus directly.

One thing i did not find out so far ist:
how can I tell nm to try dhcp. Then when it fails (lets say after 5s) use a static Ip or link-local. But keep trying dhcp in the background and get a dynamic IP when a server becomes available (and delete the previously assigned statis/ll IP)

That is something that works with dhcpcd (which I can't use because my application does not have root rights).

Is there a way to achieve this in nm?

Thanks and best regards,
Sebastian