Static Routes for VPN

I cannot remember the last networkManager this worked in (GUI), but I am trying to add static routes for VPN connections and it no longer takes interfaces as gateways.  Not knowing the IP of the gateway until connection, what is the proper procedure for adding static routes to VPN interfaces so "Only resources on these networks" works?

Amyone know?

 It is a pain to manually add them with IP after connecting each time.  I must be missing something - I cannot imagine the developers taking out the ability to use tun0 or ppp0 as a gateway (although it seems that way)  :-/

Thanks in advance!

NetworkManager-1.2.4-2.fc24.x86_64

-Greg