Re: Auto-negotiation - Out of business

Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> writes:
On Tue, 2016-11-29 at 10:23 +0100, Francesco Giudici wrote:

I would say yes. Half duplex setting is invalid for gigabit network
speed.

Yeah, I think so. I should also have got a warning from NM in your
journal logs stating that configuring the 1000Mb/Half failed (search
for
"set-link").
Thanks
Francesco

I think then NM should reject such invalid configurations right way.
I mean, really reject as invalid, not silently normalize away.

I agree.  There is no way for NM to figure out if the user meant
1000/full or 100/half.  So rejecting 1000/half as invalid is the only
possible action.  Preferably recommending "auto" for users who don't
know what to do about the rejected config.  No-one should ever force
speed or duplex without knowing exactly what they do anyway.

(And for those who know what they are doing, there is a 100% probability
that the *correct* fix is to set the other end to "auto".  Although I
understand that not all users will have the ability to do that, due to
the limited range of most cluebats)

Bjørn