Re: How to avoid using policy kit with openvpn

On Fri, 2016-11-25 at 15:20 +0200, matti kaasinen wrote:

To be more exact: service that dos not start anymore after I enable and
later disable it is avahi-daemon.service. It is told in that unit file that:
Alias=dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service.

In fact, it seems that any operations using dbus (NTP, avahi...) have
problems after starting openvpn service and it does not vanish if I stop
it. So, it seems that either openvpn sevice (or possibly NM) creates policy
some policy kit rule that does not vanish when I disable and stop openvpn.

That sounds very strange.

Please enable eavesdropping on the system bus:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingDBus#How_to_monitor_the_system_bus

And then monitor the actual bus traffic before starting the "openvpn
service" (is that the NM VPN plugin?) and after starting it and look
out for what changed.

You can use "busctl monitor" or "dbus-monitor --system" to do the
monitoring. Be sure to disable eavesdropping afterwards.

If it won't be obvious what went wrong then please share the logs
(preferably via a pastebin and after making sure you're not leaking
your passwords).

Regards,
Lubo