Re: new problems with connecting with an LTE modem

On Fri, 2016-05-20 at 19:43 +0200, Bhima wrote:
Hey thanks for the quick response!

I'm not able to use the qmi-network helper script anymore because it
always fails:

Starting network with 'qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0
--wds-start-network=drei.at  --client-no-release-cid'...
[20 May 2016, 19:28:07] -Warning ** Error reading from istream:
Resource
temporarily unavailable
error: couldn't create client for the 'wds' service: CID allocation
failed in the CTL client: Transaction timed out

If you're running ModemManager in the background, then you want to use
the "proxy" option (-p) for qmicli.  Otherwise ModemManager and qmicli
will fight over the cdc-wdm device.  MM (at least recent versions) will
use the proxy by default to allow for this.

Does just adding "-p" to the qmicli commands in qmi-network make things
work better?

So I've been using mmcli, like this: "sudo mmcli --verbose
--simple-connect="apn=drei.at,ip-type=ipv4" -m 0"

The connection that gets made is pretty bad... like 5% of bandwidth
I'm
used to. The signal strength reported by mmcli status report is "67"
but
I've got no idea what that really means (and it's not like I've
changed
the hardware or even moved it recently).

If you're able to switch back to a previous kernel, and only change the
running kernel, do things work better?  I'm wonder if there's been a
driver change with scheduling USB URBs or something for the network
part, that might be impacting performance.  Something else to try is to
turn off USB runtime power management for the device:

(as root)
echo "0" > /sys/class/usbmisc/cdc-wdm0/device/../power/control

and see if that changes anything.

Dan

I'm wondering if the modem gets half way through getting configured
and
making the connection with another, perhaps new, mechanism and now
trying to go through the process twice is what is making it not work.