new problems with connecting with an LTE modem

Hi Guys!

I'm having problems with a Sierra MC7710 LTE modem, running in a Soekris Net6501, after a recent update to Ubuntu 16.04 to the 4.4.0-22-generic kernel. For the past few years I've been using the qmi-network helper script to connect cdc-wdm0, which in turn created a wwan0 port. Now that's all gone pear shaped and I've gone around in circles trying figure out what's gone wrong.

looking in dmesg, I see that wwan0 is actually getting renamed to wwp2s2f3u3i8, which is confirmed by status returned by "mmcli -m 0" (ports: 'ttyUSB0 (qcdm), ttyUSB2 (at), cdc-wdm0 (qmi), wwp2s2f3u3i8 (net)'). I can get a dhcp address on 'wwp2s2f3u3i8' but the throughput on the resulting channel is severely constrained.

So now I'm wondering what exactly the proper way to configure and use this modem from the command line these days.

Thanks!