Re: Wifi Hotspot configuration.

On Sun, 2016-03-27 at 11:22 +0200, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Sat, 2016-03-26 at 17:53 +0100, devops036 devops036 wrote:

Hi,

I recently installed a home server under CentOS 7.
I wanted to use it as a Wifi Hotspot.
I tried to activate this feature at the command line without
success.
I couldn't find a command, a script, any documentation locally or
on
the Internet to do that!

The only solution was to install a graphical desktop that I didn't
need, execute the nm-connection-editor command and press the Wifi
Hotspot button.

Is it normal?

There are multiple client applications that all communicate via D-Bus
with NetworkManager.

On nm-1.2 there will be a command `nmcli device wifi hotspot` to
create
a wifi hotspot. However, there is no direct alternative on nm-
1.0/rhel-
7.2.

Note that `nmcli device wifi hotspot` is just a convenience command.
You can achieve the same outcome by modifying an existing connection
have all to settings for a wifi-hotspot. Something like

  nmcli connection modify $CONNECTION \
      802-11-wireless.mode ap \
      ipv4.method shared \
      #more settings...

  or try:

  nmcli connection edit $CONNECTION

The problem is of course, *what* are the correct settings. See `man
nm-
settings` or type help/describe in edit mode.

Note that all clients in the end create a text file with the
connection
settings. Either in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections or (on
CentOS) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*.
You can edit the files directly. The manual pages are again nm-
settings, nm-settings-ifcfg-rh and nm-settings-keyfile.

Or, say you used nm-connection-editor on another host, look at the
fields that it set: `nmcli connection show $CONNECTION`

Then, I tried to read the sources of the NetworkManager packages to
find out what was done behind the Wifi Hotspot button.
Which Wifi Hotspot button do you mean?

Probably the GNOME Shell / gnome-control-center one...  but that's
really all it does.  It looks for a specific connection name that it
previously created and activates that, otherwise it creates a new
connection with the right properties and starts that instead.

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-control-center/tree/panels/network/net-device-wifi.c#n1004

Dan

The nm-connection-editor sources are in the "network-manager-applet"
package.

I didn't succeed.
nmcli (on nm-1-2, not rhel-7.2) does:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/cgit/?url=NetworkManager/NetworkManager/
tree/clients/cli/devices.c&id=bbc941245dac37083f0b46e115191c59bfbf95e
b#n3073

nm-connection-editor it's not in one place because there are just a
bunch of UI input fields that interact:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-applet/tree/src/connecti
on-editor?id=027ca27169bb9425594b3c82d927c1ff861537e9
basically, page-wifi.c, page-wifi-security.c and page-ip4.c work
together when you select the "Hotspot" mode.

Although I perfectly understand that documentation is something
difficult to put in place, in this case there is almost nothing.

Would anybody be nice to point me to a documentation that I
wouldn't
have found or write some procedure to configure Wifi hotspot from
the
command line with some explanations about the steps?

Thomas