Re: Homenet

Op 21-3-2016 om 13:43 schreef Stuart D. Gathman:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016, Xen wrote:

"Addressable" is NOT the same thing as "exposed".  Any sane IPv6

There is a fundamental issue with this and that is that this is a rather
arbitrary "sanest method of configuration" rather than a topology feature.

So is NAT.

If you consider the network topology the same because it is behind the same router, fine. But you do realize that the new system has en entirely different model of encapsulation right?

You still have subnets, but now a host can apparently be a member of a remote network -- I do not know how routing works when a host is part of multiple networks as a network is typically that thing that gets routed to, not a host. So you would think that being part of multiple networks is impossible unless you are speaking of virtual networks.

If my host is part of one subnet, it cannot be part of another one, unless for instance the link-layer network is the same and no routing is needed. You can have multiple subnets in the same house of course, on the same physical network. And I have used multiple IPs on a single interface repeatedly to do VPN related stuff.

And being able to be part of many possible VPNs at the same time is an interesting proposition. But they wouldn't (shouldn't) use public IPs.

So just assuming you have answers (or there are answers to that) that takes away the nerves of that, let me think more about that topology thing.

Of course if you have multiple routes (physical links) then there is no issue with being part of multiple networks.

But supposing that networks are still hierarchical. The network is still the same, but the router now passes through a public addressing to internal IPs that are the same, and the host part is simply the "room" number of a building that is able to be addressed per room.

The network is the building address, the host is the room number.

Nothing special about that you might say.

In a general sense I am trying to enlighten you so that I won't have to do the work for it ;-).

For this :p.

You can also call this having a phone number for every room directly accessible from the outside without some interim login system or telephone operator in between.

I'll leave the rest to you.

There is no longer a "port to different port" mapping, now it is simply
"open or closed".

You can still use NAT.  Ip6 NAT works just fine and dandy - it's just no
longer *needed*.

I didn't know that. I had read or heard that there was no NAT in IPv6. Sorry.

When you cross boundaries, meanings can change. For example, I have a device internally running on port 22, but externally port 80. This is because I was
located on a premises that blocked outgoing port 22 connections. And
basically all other connections except 80 and 443. There are also other
ports open on that router but they are all accessible through the same IP
and domain.

IP6 NAT still works for that.  But I just use IP6 darknet.

Isn't a darknet just intended to catch and sample unwanted traffic into a network?

I meant that I was not at home, and where I was located there was a corporate firewall disallowing me the use of 22 etc. So I just used port 80 for everything. Eventually I just started using a commercial VPN though that had a tunnel open on 80 as well to connect to the VPN.

I can directly address all the hundreds of boxes I have to monitor.
Configuration is so much simpler.  Protocols like SIP that are broken
behind NAT Just Work with IP6, and without an external 3rd party. I can
have a separate IP for each logical web page.  (Yes, https is finally
being upgraded so name virtual host works - but IP6 is still better
deployed, and that's not saying much.)  I can actually talk to people
behind the same firewall via SIP.

Well, I guess. I would just solve it in a different way I guess. There is in essence nothing wrong with host-addressable (network, internal network) addressable addresses. We have been using that for telephone numbers and basic physical (postal) addresses since like forever.

We have also had systems (businesses) where you couldn't, often quite by design.

The question is how much do you want to expose your stuff. In this case, of course, if you put those hundreds of boxes you need to monitor on a subnet that is accessible through a VPN, and the gateway (VPN gateway) of that subnet / network translates those addresses for you (would need cooperation of the hosts, so won't work) or simply makes that subnet routable to you, the issue is also solved right.

Which of course gives trouble if that subnet you get routed to has the same configuration as some other subnet you need to access, and that is valid concern. What is needed is a unique form of addressing, given several networks that might use the same, and I guess IPv6 fixes that by making all those addresses simply global.

If every subnet is global and recognised and unique, you will never have an issue in negotiating which internal subnet addressing you are going to use.

And if NAT is still possible you can still use your own range.

A VPN has a preconfigured address range. That is no problem if you only use one or two. But if you use a thousand, configuration is going to be a problem. Of course, again, if you just use global addressing for everything, you will never have such a problem.

Not my idea of a good time though. It means you are completely dependant on being given those addresses right.

It also means without NAT your internal addresses (at least the subnet part) are determined by the outside world. Right?

Maybe that makes no sense since you still decide the host parts.

In short, all the hundreds of daily irritations and things that just
don't work "behind NAT" go away.  NAT is great for working around
ISP braindamage via port mapping - and works OK as a default incoming
only security policy - but is a hug Pain in the rear the rest of the
time.  Anytime you are using NAT to work around lack of additional
public IP4s (because you aren't made of money), you really want IP6.

So the question is really, how do you want to be addressed internally. I mean from the outside.

It is clear that if you need to address a lot of devices it would be helpful if they never changed address as they move across boundaries.

In IPv4 typically you have one address and addressing internal hosts is not possible, and you make do with port numbers that map onto them.

Both automatic (outgoing snat and the opening of a connection and the router maintaining that) and ingoing (dnat because of a port mapping configuration).

The issue I guess, as you say, is also that you want to be able to do this without outside intervention (third party).

For instance, I don't know anything about SIP, but an internal IP telecommunication device that runs a service needs to be able to be connected to if it is not going to be reached through an internet-located server, and even then. I find it hard to imagine that a protocol will break when the device can open portmaps on the router, but okay. The issue is peer-to-peer, in essence. Or anything using fixed ports, in the absence of dynamic ports being communicated through a central server (3rd party).

So I assume we are talking about peer-to-peer here with both peers needing to be able to be addressed and contacted directly without the intervention of anything else. Since the typical solution has been a 3rd party that tells the called client to open a port on the router (these days) after which it is reachable.

And then you always need that server that IS reachable to enable peer to peer, in essence peer to peer being dependable on client-server (but this has always been the case). (Without any third party you cannot even reach anything anyway, even the DNS is a third party).

So are you alluding to peer to peer systems the way GNUtella were? Is that the goal here?

Perhaps you may consider that a port is no good way to contact a /host/.

And without a public address you need a translated address anyway. So if you want to externally address internal hosts, you either need a fixed IP, or something that is translated, or perhaps ugly, a port that maps onto an internal port of that device you want to reach.

For me the port mapping is still the most agreeable solution. Supposing I needed multiple devices running at port 80. Even with all the ideas of what I wanted to run from my home. I would have needed and acquired a second physical link, probably. But apart from that. I probably would have required one website at 80. But I might just have put that on a VPS. A single web page addressable by IP? What for?

"I can actually talk to people behind the same firewall via SIP" You mean people on a remote network right?

That should ordinarily have been possible anyway with a central service negotionating port forward openings?

I am not going to assume these SIP devices require any stable fixed address?

> No, a different host name.

Yup but unless you have a fully setup domain for your (home) you will be using a form of DynDNS so you will need one host name registered for each address.

That is a management nightmare unless you already have an internal naming scheme that translate into the external world and that means your internal hosts are directly addressable per DNS (you have a real domain for yourself).

(Or even a subdomain you control).

Things work the same internally as externally.  One fixed IP per device
that is the same internally and externally.  Situations (like mobile
devices) where you have 7 billion devices but only 4 billion IP4
addresses.

I understand that reaching a device that is internal is problematic if its address changes from the outside as compared to the inside.

Anything you run on your internal network is going to be a bitch to configure if e.g. you have mobile devices that need to reach it. The solution for me has been to use the external address exclusively, which was a problem because that stupid D-Link router didn't support it. For only that reason did I acquire a new router, mostly.

For *me* the number of things I would be needing to reach would be limited because they would be servers. So the question is again: are you talking of p2p? Distributed systems?

I live in a home where you cannot reach it directly, you first have to get through the front door. I like it a lot.

Police habitually gets around that by just calling at the neighbours to let them in before they walk on to your house to surprise you there :p. When I could still walk I got away from them though due to this system :p.

My neighbour even apologized for letting them in ;-). ;P :).

I do not want a "publicly addressable" house in the street. I do not want a house where people can see whether I am home or not and harass me that way. I want to be left alone mostly.

Can you accept that? Can you agree with that?

I am annoyed that I cannot turn off my doorbell because it is not even on my own electricity, I do not control that system.

I am annoyed that many games have account-wide systems and you often cannot delete your account or control anything that goes into it. I am annoyed that when you buy a game, it is tied to the account, and when you delete the account, you lose all your games and they have basically stolen your money because you can't get it back; the key has been used, now it is lost (probably). I hate that "account" and "game ownership" are being equated with each other. I don't like that my email address and domain (separate from it) are currently tied to each other because they are on the same account, so I can delete the website without removing the email address, but not the other way around.

I do not like that a public defence attorney is employed by the state and handles all administration by himself, and that it is almost impossible to get rid of him. I hate that attorneys present themselves as your contact person to the outside world, and falsely attest that they are representing you with full agreement when it is not so. They ask this of the attorney, not of you. The attorney can say whatever he/she wants, his or her words are believed, while he can only represent you after YOU have said so. An attorney can go to a court and present himself/herself as your representative and the court will accept that by default without any intervention or requirement on your part. And then suddenly your mail is no longer getting sent to your address, but to that of the attorney. Bah.

A public defense attorney is a complete burden and the only benefit in most cases is that the court appears to want to talk to him, but not to you. Courts and other parts of the justice system are very eager to talk to the attorney but not to the defendant. The attorney meanwhile doesn't do shit and leaves you out in the cold, while preventing you from making your own defense.

I hate dependence. I hate being dependant on factors I don't like and that make my life worse. I like to be in control of what goes on, because other people just ruin everything. Everyone who is employed by someone I don't like, is going to be against me.

I don't like dependence in computer systems. I don't like when one thing I like is tied to another thing I don't like, and I cannot get rid of the thing I don't like without also losing the thing I like.

If I want to link my internal network to an alien civilization that uses a different addressing scheme, I want to be able to do so ;-).

I like an internal network that is not dependant on the fucking outside. I do not need to be in that storm. I do not need to be in that weather. I do not want that.

What does the world give me really.... As long as I can be routed to, that's fine. Maybe a different outlook on life, but that's it. I am fine with having a gateway system that will translate outside requests to internal ones. We have an amount of addresses in IPv6 that would allow us to connect to or become a pan-galactic civilisation. But you would need gateways anyway. How on earth are you going to homogenize between different cultures? And is your internal network really anything different? Why not have a translation layer? Internal and outside the same address, well can be nice. Then just use the external address since it is getting translated anyway, and it exists at the exit point of your network. If not, use a system that gives host names to your devices that can get you where you want. It should be possible to have a domain name system that easily accesses something from the outside as well as from the inside, but of course you need a public address. That remains the case. Whether my host is "peanuts" or "peanuts.myfacility.net" shouldn't make a lot of difference. These are not numbers, they are names. They have more meaning. Whether that translates to two different addresses; a client could or should perhaps be intelligent enough to just pick the one based on where it is located (if it also has such a hostname). All of these things are in principle much simpler than IPv6. A GOOD host naming scheme that translates to the outside is pretty much essential anyway and something I have never really had.

My ISP has never given me a real domain I could use for that. I don't really need multiple IPs. In essence I need multiple host names. That is what an address is to us humans. So start from that. Do we have that system? What is so difficult about giving people a domain for their home? People have domains for websites but not for homes.

If you concur that you should have host names for your devices (or the ones you care about) (at least) that have an address from the outside, you can still make various choices about the IP scheme. Generally speaking your router should be the DNS for those hosts. If anyone contacts a host, it knows who they are. It doesn't work that way because host name resolution and addressing are two separate steps. In essence our ISPs give us IP addresses that are like host names, they often have a reverse domain (host) attached to it. You never use it really, but it's there. It's just not very convenient, or nice, or pleasant. If those hosts translate to the same IP, that's still nothing you can work with. An IP packet doesn't contain a host name. So then what you need is this "name" based addressing included, or a numeric address being revealed, or a cascade of encapsulated packet (first to the gateway, then to the internal host). Basically a tunnel. Which means it becomes a little like a VPN. I like the last idea most. You send a package to a gateway, and ask it to forward an included packet to someone else.

It is forwarding anyway, not it just needs to unpack. Today (or at least in IPv4 NAT) we do that by treating the port as the internal address (of the masquerade) and 'abuse' it as an internal node address really.

There has not been any concept of cascaded addresses really. Since there are two concepts: IP and port, the port has been our cascaded "included" address of the internal system.

If you travel physically... well this goes on too long.

You first travel to the hub, and from the hub you travel on. That is basic routing too. But I like the idea of being internally invisible in some way.

You cannot reach my house directly. By phone number, yes. Not by mail. I have to go get the mail myself. Or someone comes in and brings it to me after I open the door.

So what would you imagine then. Imagine being part of an intergalactic civilisation with many diverse systems being linked.

A culture might not even want you to send messages to its members directly. Not as directly. It might not want the individual members to be known.

It might use pseudonyms, or something like that. It might like seclusion. Messages travel to a central hub. People that want to receive them, connect to that. The hub notifies the person that something is there. The person responds by obtaining it, or not.

To me, host names are pseudonymic enough (or actually, perfect) but numeric IDs aren't.

If you are going to use 128-bit addresses, a 20 char host name in essence, shouldn't be a problem either.

If you used a hostname, an internal host would be capable of relocating itself (change its number) without hassle even in the midst of a connection.

In essence that's the same as what you want with VoIP, in essence you want a fixed address that you can register with wherever you are, on whatever device you are using. Like an account name, in that sense. Account names are usually addresses in these systems (or at least in chat systems) -- you register with the account name, the system registers your number, and you are now reachable through that name wherever you might be.

You may want a device not to change address, but with mobile devices this is not possible anyway. We were merely talking of internal hosts that do not change location. What about hosts that do change location? You need a name that registers with a number.

Why not have a name that registers with a number for the outside world as well? The host picks its name, and registers with the gateway (same thing). The gateway now knows its name. Internal hosts also know its name.

Registering is saying "I can be reached there".

Now something from the outside wants to reach it. Some one from the outside wants to reach it. Someone from the outside.

The gateway can now do one of two or three things.

1. give it a fixed globally addressable address, after which the gateway won't care anymore, and just obliviously do its work.
2. only allow addressing by name for whatever long something might take.
3. give it one additional address, it already knew the gateway (or in our case, the DNS server) now it needs to know the internal host.

Now you can say 1 and 3 are the same. But there is a subtle but important difference.

I'm not sure if I will have the time for this.

In our case, the first case, we have:

1. an upstream DNS server resolving the address of the downstream (our) dns server. 2. packets being routed to that server through known routes belonging to our ISP. 3. our DNS server resolving the address of our internal host that is publicly knowable. 4. packets being routed to that internal host first through the route to the gateway (same route as 2) and then through our router onto the internal network.

The router and the DNS server are the same (the gateway) and they should be, in essence. Or at least it is part of the same concept, the same notion, the same unit.

It is the access point to our network (if there is only one).

And mostly it would be, at least in a home router.

But what is the alternative notion?

1. the network address directly identifies the router/gateway. In a sense this is already true because the ISP knows the route to our system. However our router address is being kept in a routing table and added there on purpose, often through a kind of DHCP system (in our case). The router is a host ON the network -- if we have a single IP from your ISP, it is not even a network, it is just a host.

Traditional IPv4 did not identify networks, it just identified hosts (for an end user). There was no addressing space beyond that, hence NAT and masquerading. The ports were used as the additional addressing space, when it was not really meant for that.

So IPv6 adds this. It gives a /64 additional space, give or take, to every end point. Right. But even this is limited, it is not recursive or any form of encapsulation. Supposing you were talking to an alien civilisation. You know, IPv6 tries to be "Universal" but of course it isn't. What are your IPv6 packets going to do? They can reach the earth boundary gateway. THAT'S IT. Now you need an additional address first for the required solar system and/or even the required galaxy you want to go to. That means, if this sort of addressing is not available on our earth network, you will have some layer somewhere in which the earth gateway is located, an IPv6 packet is sent to it that encapsulates a larger addressing scheme, and the gateway, that does know the addressing scheme, uses it to find the required host abroad using whatever scheme there is.

That's like a VPN right. You open a tunnel to the gateway, and your own system (host) goes and speaks a completely different scheme on top of what we already have. Inside of what we already have. Basically, through this gateway, a completely different virtual network emerges.

You don't even have to go to the earth gateway for that. Your ISP could be doing the same for you. Everyone could be logged on to a different virtual network that would sit on top of the regular IPv6 internet. And things would get pretty boring pretty soon then.

Now everyone needs this larger scheme. But what if different civilisations use different schemes? Are you going to create one addressing scheme for all and then use this on earth as well?

In the end what you need is a form of encapsulation anyway. You cannot get around it really.

Or you'll end up living in virtual networks on top of virtual networks. Maybe not so bad. But maybe the reverse solution of what is needed.

Suppose we use something different.

Our address for our home is a network. It is a network address. But inside of us, there could be another network, and inside of that, another, and another and another.

So what does it matter if a remote host can reach the innermost address directly? Isn't it sufficient that it can reach the first boundary, and then include the addressing for the next, inside of that? And the next, inside of THAT?

IPv6 has tried to solve it by creating a number number of bits (well, relatively speaking, for us) that are supposed to cover ALL of this in any practical matter.

So, you have 64 bits. For your host. Supposing you were to use 8 bits for the first next network, 8 bits for the one inside of that, and so on. After a while you cannot go any deeper. Because they have tried to use a fixed size number to conver the entire depth you may need to traverse.

We have a fixed size number that we can split as much or in any way we like using bitmasks. If we have 128 bits (or 64) we can use 64 bits for a host, but we can also use 8 for another network and 56 or a host. That is up to us and that is basic IPv4 parlance as well. Same thing right.

But the concept hasn't changed. We can now have cascade of networks but the addressing is still one single number. We have seen how people used to port to get around that. The port is an additional number. The port is part of UDP or TCP I believe, so it is an encapsulation going on here: The TCP packet is ENCAPSULATED inside the IP packet and people used THIS to address internal hosts!!!! You see the solution that was used! Encapsulation! For further addressing!!!!!!.

This is why it worked so well and why people were so happy about it in a general sense.

Now why shouldn't we be able to encapsulate IP packets within one another?

Why can't we send a packet to a network which is equivalent to a gateway in this sense. The gateway has one address.

Whatever this address is (this reminds me of designing the minimax algorithm I did as a kid). Whether it is (or has been) encapsulated or not, it reaches us now as the outermost encapsulation: a packet with our address on it that we can know about. The unpacking of packets is going to be how routing is going to be in the future. In essence it is going to be the question of whether we want multiple or single inheritance. In the case of single inheritance, the scheme I have proposed here works intently and directly. In the other case, we will have multiple addresses for our network, and it is no longer a real tree.

Just stick to single then.

But maybe the rest is up to you know. I'm just some loser who doesn't know anything, you know. I can't really think this thing true, because my brain is too impaired (for real).

And I have no food either, etc. etc.

Thinking requires a lot of glucose and I don't have much of it.

So I'll see ya.

The question is: WHY DO YOU WANT or feel the need or desire for (RANDOM)
64-bit addresses on an internal network?

You don't want or need them on an internal network.  It is an optional
IP6 privacy feature, in case you don't want outside parties tracking
your device by its MAC - which is used in the original SLAAC. When the
internal network has a server or DHCP6 capable router, then DHCP6 is
better and simpler IMO, and works with subnets smaller than /64.

Right. I'll have to think about that some day. I'll keep the mail.

The privacy feature is optional.  When used, it is used only for
outgoing connections from the device.  There is still a fixed IP6 that
can be given out to things that need to connect to it.  It is generally
a good idea not to use SLAAC if privacy is a concern, as that exposes
your MAC and can be tracked across multiple locations (e.g. if coffee
shops all had IP6 but no DHCP6, then your device would be recognized
at each coffee shop).

Thank you for your understanding and willingness to explain. Much appreciated.

"small set".  Yes, that is the *critical* problem with IP4.  You do
realize that we ran out of IP4 addresses years ago everywhere except
Africa, and the bandaids (like NAT) to keep things sort of running
are getting cumbersome?

Like I explain, I would favour a cascade system of encapsulations in either a real hierarchical or multi-inheritance fashion that would forever abolish all problems of running out of addressing space because you could add another encapsulation layer at your convenience at any time provided the hierarchical layout of the world follows this model as well, ie. there might be an encapsulation for your region, your country, your country region, your continent, etc. etc.

IPv4 address can already be translated to country but that is in a different way, that is just through some table in which parts of the space are allocated to certain regions in this fixed size address number way.

It would not be hard, for intance, if you did run out of space, to further segment the area you live in (and the addresses that are being given out) to add a few more hierarchical layers, and the transition for this could happen overnight. It is really flexible and you can add or remove layers at your behest as long as it is being done for the entire region you are part of. Which only needs to happen at that regions gateway, really.

Since every subsystem would have its own independent addressing, it can include itself into anything you want (but you really need hierarchy I feel, I don't like C++ multi inheritance either). What you get is a grassroots system instead of a topdown system. The internal network comes first. Then it joins with other internal networks into one bigger network. The bigger network joins with other bigger networks into an even bigger one. And this goes on until you reach the global level, or even the universal one. It can be infinitely extended, into larger and larger, but also into smaller and smaller. You can become part of larger and larger wholes, or you can turn yourself into larger and larger wholes by having deeper and deeper nested things inside of yourself.

You are only yourself and infinity goes both ways. This is an infinite system. It can grow in either direction, or shrink in either direction as you please.

You can become your own country if you want. You can disconnect from everything else and only grow inside yourself. Or you can join the entire cosmos as you explore outer space.

The only real question that remains would be what would be the size of each addressing step. This *could* be an individual thing but I consider it more likely, or pleasant, or workable, if this ... I expect this to become a universal statistic. I suppose, and I think, and I guess, that a number of about 200.000 would be the maximum number of internal nodes you would need to any level of hierarchy.

If you are talking bits, that would mean that 256k or 18 bits is the maximum number any internal segment needs to have to addresss all its hosts.

I believe this is the universal system, but I just conjured it up. I have been thinking about these things for a long time though. I think this is what real hierarchy comes down to, not a top down system, but an inclusion of segments that each vote for voluntary inclusion, in that sense.

Corporations often grow by assimilating stuff. But assimilating is not the same as growing, and joining is also not the same as assimilating. What I mean is that forceful acquisition would not happen in this system. Either you subdivide yourself, or you become part of a larger subdividion of something bigger than you.

You can perhaps subdivide yourself by becoming the larger entity, using your old self as one cell, and then acquiring by force or purchase or whatever, something else as the 2nd or 3rd or 4th cell. But that's not really the spirit of this thing. The spirit is that you always remain yourself and you choose what to be included in. For example, naturally you can choose your ISP (mostly), that's the kind of thing. The ISP doesn't choose you. You are a client. You choose what you become a part of, in that sense.

The spirit is really that if something larger is needed, you either join together with something else to make that larger whole, or perhaps you could become larger but this would happen voluntarily. I don't know. Subdividing yourself also means you become larger, just not higher up the hierarchical ladder. I don't know.

I think it would naturally resolve itself.

If you have a cascade of 18 bit addresses relative to your position in life it means you don't need no global address to address your internal hosts or networks. At the same time, you don't even have one, in the sense that your next bigger address simply includes the network you are connecting to. You know how the whole tiered internet infrastructure works in a way. I am fascinated by how big and monstrous and wonderful the T1 internet providers are and how they work together, and how they have peering agreements only with other big T1 networks, but not with smaller ones, that they only accept as clients. I think it is a wonderful model and it works very well. This are huge corporations and/but they dig their own fucking cables through the atlantic ocean.

Nobody really knows about them but they exist and do everything.

And there is hardly, scarcely, or at all, any malevolence in there. Fascinating :).

So from your perspective, your next bigger address is the one that includes your address as part of the 18 bits you are included in. Then THAT network has no identity other than what it is, until it includes the next 18 bits IT is included in.

That ALSO means that if you just want to address the hosts in the network you are part, of you need go no further than just knowing your own address as part of that whole, getting someone elses, encapsulating your internal traffic as part of that thing, send if off, it gets routed, and reaches its destination. So, but, if this is infinite in every direction, how and when do you know when to go higher up the chain?

That is really quite simple but perhaps a bit difficult. You require the knowledge of the entire whole you are part of.

Just like with those tiering things, you need to know in advance on which network something is located.

Then you can see whether you can reach it from where you are or not.

The encapsulation is really done by the gateway, but, the hosts need to know about it too otherwise they can't address it right.

So there is a different protocol for that. If you know any address you want to reach, and you need to go up, you know exactly how far up you need to go, otherwise you wouldn't have its address.

In a sense that address is a flexible sequence of 18 bit numbers (in the case we / I have chosen here).

You can present that sequence to your gateway, that will encapsulate your packet (or at least your return address) and chop off your part, after it will give the packet to the next higher up. This works for the return address because you start by encapsulating the deepest part first.

The address you are using for the target is not yet that encapsulated thing. If it was, it would contain the address of the top most level you need to go up to.

So instead what you do is you encapsulate the deepest part of that too because at the top of the hierarchy you need to reach, it needs to have the full sequence (encapsulated) for going down.

Every level you go up, supposing the end target is on the same level as you, you encapsulate an additional part of that address while chopping it off the sequence that you pass on. I'm not sure if I want to say anymore. I feel as though people will run off with my idea without giving me any credit, seeing as I can't even work or do anything in the world. But this thing is easy enough to solve in a way. It is better if other people solve it then.

Knowing your position in the world, or the position of the target you need to reach relative to you, is vital. That's because the length of the sequence you present to your gateway will determine how far up the hierarchy you will go before descending down again.

The sequence you present is really the length you want to travel up. You know where you are, or your gateway does, so you don't need to encapsulate your entire address yourself. If you want to travel further down than you have travelled up, you need to encapsulate the deeper steps first yourself.

Because presenting those as a sequence means you are travelling farther up than you intend.

The sequence you present determines how far you will travel up, but it will not determine where you will travel up TO. That's because you will just travel up to the next highest level, in this system. But once you reach the top of where you need to go, the entire sequence will have been encapsulated (of both your target and source address).... I don't know, maybe I should write a paper about this some time. I don't know. I can't really do much atm.

And well, all the top gateway needs to do is unwrap evermore going down, until there is nothing more to unwrap, at which point you will have reached a host.

So you need to know the relative location of every host you want to reach, nothing absolute.

The question can become how you are going to fix alternative routes, that is a subject for later study. In a sense it will depend on peering as well as what is being done in the internet infrastructure world.

In a sense the physical structure already follows this model you know. The addressing structure just doesn't. It is not a sane model what we have, especially as it has grown into something bigger and more monstrous like IPv6.

There is really nothing very special about this.

Let me blow your mind with my favorite application of IP6: CGA -
CryptoGraphic Addressing.  One huge problem with both IP4 and
conventional IP6 is that you IP (/64 subnet in the case of IP6) is
essentially assigned by the government (through IANA) and can be taken
away at any time.  And can be spoofed.  In the CJDNS protocol, the
128-bit IP6 address of a device is the truncated hash of the public key
of the device.  No central address assignment.  No spoofing.

https://github.com/cjdelisle/cjdns/

That is mind blowing but also very freaky. I like the idea of a dark net (in the sense of an anarchistic kind of network) but it is a think of unspeakable intransparancy. I mean obliqueness. They say that CJDNS is meant to replace the regular internet.

Okay so I get it. It is really a routing system that functions by fully allowing yourself to pick your address, and becoming part of something that will always be able to route to you no matter what.

But just like other distributed systems (I mentioned Gnutella) I don't like it very much. They say at the end of their wiki/markup page (on Github) that "Congratulations, you have now become a network administrator" and then talk about the resonsibilities of that.

It is filthy in a sense you know. This is the kind of thing that really terribly reminds me of child porn networks and how they are constructed on the internet. I have never seen anything like that and I have only seen a very small surface of it. There is a lot of obfuscation, for instance there are public urls that will only show something if you are coming from another recognised page (another host). If you enter the page directly, it will just show nonsense. I don't like to be a part of that, but I had a look. This is not even the dark web. This is just publicly obfuscated. And there is not really anything there either, from what I've seen. Yet, they've put it on the surface. For people to find perhaps, I don't know.

It's a weird world and it doesn't make me sick, but it makes me feel filthy. I get the same feeling from this CGA. It is a way to throw darkness over the earth.

You don't know anyone except your next few peers.

Just like with Gnutella, you depend on existing known hosts or peers to get connected. You even require an invitation or acceptance. Don't like it at all, at all.

It reminds me of hacker culture as well but this is different. Who are going to be running those hosts? Who are those hosts? Are you not in the dark? What do you know about your surroundings really?

In my system you also depend on something like an ISP including you. But your ISP can also take away your internet connection so it's no different really. In my system, address and geophysical location are intimately tied together. If you can have access to something, you can have an address. What you would do instead is layer something like this on top of that. I mean that you start out with my system. And then you put that what you have on top of it. Then you have an amazing system I think.

I would call my thing a cascading encapsulated hierarchy. CEH sounds bad ;-). But that's what it is I guess.

Cause you see, if the internet authority did take away your address. It would mean it would have to take it away from the topmost actor that is functioning between them (or it, or whatever that authority is). Suppose the topmost thing I am a part of is Earth. Earth has no address, because it is the topmost thing, it doesn't need an address.

Now every continent would have an address in those first 18 bits. You would probably have a space of about 15 different regions. Then you would probably have a space of about 15-30 other things that are not regions. This would then conclude the top level for Earth. These 15-30 other thing are not geolocated. They could be other forms of non-geographical organisation. It could be a cross-cultural or at least cross-regional grouping together of individuals wanting to belong to the same thing. An intersection, if you will.

Let's call these non-geolocated groups by colours. There would be a group called Red, Blue, Green, Purple, etc.

Red, for instance, could contain people of a communist persuasion or something of the kind. There system, they can make it whatever they want. The only thing that's true, is that globally it is reached through the top level by their address.

How you reach any hosts within that, is beyond that. It is contained in your packet. That may contain a whole lot of other packets (wrapped). But we do not know. That is up to them.

Supposing somewhere in that line you acquired both an access path and an address from this Red network / organisation to their physical network. It doesn't even have to be one physical network. It can be a bunch, it can be whatever. It can be composed of Squids. Real Squids. I don't care.

It could be hierarchical, I don't know,. You don't know how crazy these people are. They could do anything ;-) :).

But in this general sense, unless they hook onto other levels as well (and they would) in order for my address now to be taken away, the whole Red network will need to be disconnected (from the top level).

But being in antersection, they'd have access paths at every level as well.

Now, it is probably going to be the case that in order to shut you off, they will have to shut off your access (or that of the Red network) at various levels as is interconnects with existing infrastructure. But what about the Green network? It is composed of environmentalists. They may have interconnection or peering agreements with the Reds as well. Now you get access through THEIR network instead of through the geopolitical geographical geolocated networks of our governments. ;-).

The Purple people have access to outer space that most of us don't know about. They provide a service called InterLink that has a roundabout to it connecting through satellites or whatever to other Purple exit nodes on earth. Now if you know a nearest Purple exit point, you can even access the White House ;-).

The Whites though don't like this, but yeah but what can they do. They are being superseded by higher intelligence ;-). That would correspond to Christianity - those whites.

Anyway enough fun here. I think this could happen for real ;-) :). :P.

A random 64-bit address is 8 bytes. A byte is 2 hexadecimal digits. That
means if these addresses are really random in the entire range, you need 16 digits to write them down. Currently, I can remember every device with one decimal number between 1 and 254. So where is the advantage here? People in
the past used to directly access public IPs by IP. By heart. I never did
much of that, but it happened. I do use a domain service for my IP and don't
remember it.

Now you have a different private IP4 for every location. That is even more confusing. Even worse, you get private IP4s that conflict, because there is
no central allocation of your private IPs, and the address space is too
small for CGA.  It's a real bummer when you add a client whose already
existing internal IPs conflict with another clients, and you need to
directly address both.  At least, it used to be a bummer until I
switched to IP6.

Alright I haven't thought about address acquisition in my system yet but in a sense that would just be DHCP. However your own name you could probably choose and there'd need to be a bit of resolution for that but that would work out fine I suppose.

In my system that I just proposed I haven't thought about name resolution, just numbers. However every number can correspond to a name. So if you include earth in the address an address could be like ea.eu.we.bl.nl.nw.am.pu.ct.db.9d and it would actually constitute a full physical address.

That's my address right there haha.

In that sense those could be all of my layers (hierarchically speaking, or numerically speaking).

Am stands for Amsterdam, Pu stands for Purmerend, and so on ;-).

So it encodes an address that can also be encoded simply in physical form.

Now that is really what I would want. For my home. To have a real address on the internet in that sense. Really, I do.

This is different from websites and all of that.

But any IP would be possible to be resolved, perhaps, unless you put a stop to that, to that full physical address of someone's location, or at least of the internet link.

Likewise, in the Red system, your full address would also be able to be resolved.

But not the geographical/geopolitical one. It would be a Red address mostly, unless it intersects with other networks. Your address is simply the path of all layers towards you from the top.

Of course you can layer the CGA on top of that to get rid of that if you want. I guess it would be a good thing for various purposes. Stay with me for a while.

However, when you aren't using privacy extensions (which aren't
*supposed* to be remembered) or CGA, then IP6 addresses are also easy to
remember.  E.g. my personal mail server is 2001:470:5:c85::10. The CJDNS
(CGA) IP of my mail server is fcd9:7f8a:e050:4b48:7fd6:7fa:5509:6e26 - and
yes, that is hard to memorize - and I don't.  That's what DNS (and other
decentralized naming systems like Namecoin) are for.

Yo man. Don't even know about Namecoin yet.

Yep.  Still works just fine in IP6.  When using hierarchical addressing,
most of those 128 bits are 0, and written as "::".

Well I knew about that, just haven't really used it yet. It is the same as with IBAN, I had a real like objection to learning it. I don't like it, I don't want to know it.

So basically they want full exposure, but recognise that this is not
actually desirable, so they introduce a firewall that will block incoming connections, when at first the whole reason for having individual addresses
was in large part to solve the problem of not being reachable.

You need a firewall for NAT as well.  You only want to block incoming
by default for clueless users that don't know any better.  The first
thing a knowledgable user does is turn *off* the default "block all
incoming", or replace the default firmware on the router with OpenWRT,
or replace the router with a linux box.

Sure, but I never thought real end-to-end connectivity was a real problem. The advents of IPv6 thought that, did think that. So they introduce something that will grant it, and then when they've done it, they think like "hmm, maybe this is just not a very good thing at all, we need strong firewalls too". With IPv4, you need ACTIVE CONFIGURATON for any internal host to be reachable (apart from UPnP). With an IPv6 router, you could do it by accident. Suppose someone (a regular user) can't do something. His friend tells him: go to your router settings and turn off the firewall. That's the easiest. Yeah, you can configure the rest later, don't worry.

Now at a certain point 20% of users has turned the firewall completely off, thinking their computer will do that enough on its own. This could be very realistic you know. I think it could be, or it even is.

I mean, if and when you connected directly without a router, you had the same right? So what's the difference. Windows Firewall works too, and I have a virus scanner installed. It should be enough. So people start turning off that thing.

In IPv4 or at least with NAT you couldn't turn anything off. Wouldn't work, wouldn't do anything. You had to actively open or forward ports.

The first thing (IPv4 NAT) required knowledge to fuck up. The second thing (IPv6 without NAT) just requires a lack of knowledge to fuck up, nothing else.

It is not safer, or equally as safe.

Press a button and everything is open, instead of having to individually select and forward ports.

But let's speak about that "knowledgeable user" if we have time.

"The first thing a knowledgable user does is turn *off* the default "block all
incoming", or replace the default firmware on the router with OpenWRT,
or replace the router with a linux box."

Making port opening settings is fine. You say "block all except" and then you open some ports. Right.

The latter thing though is far beyond the reach of any regular computer user or even many who are really very good with computers. I have used OpenWRT, and it is not easy. I wanted to change THEIR model as well (you know, the UCI) -- it is deeply flawed as well and confused the hell out of me. It took a long time for me to get the simplest thing running. Some things (normal things) are just not possible with the default configuration (or SEEMED to not be possible until someone told me) and required me to dig into the way it generates IPtables rules in order to add a custom rule that would do the thing. Turns out I was mistaken but I had not been able to find it anywhere.

I don't know where that little router has gone to. Have I given it away?

My memory is jaded. I got a hit to the head.

I have a TP-Link router now that will accept OpenWRT but. Yeah. Where is that thing....

It *is* desirable - but too dangerous by default for unskilled users running
Windows.  A gun is a valuable and essential tool - but you don't give it
to a four year old to play with unsupervised.

But if IPv6 becomes ubiquitous in the home, it will land a lot of users in a serious ...not knowing what to do.... problem, I mean you ARE giving that gun to those people. Maybe not by default but very close to it.

It is like giving a gun to that 4 year old with some kind of safety lock on it, but the 6 year old can remove it ;-).

1000 times more simple.  Hence, why I don't even bother with IP4 anymore
except to configure a 6in4 tunnel when the ISP is still living in the
'90s.

Well simple for you apparently given who you are and what you want to do. Is it simple for the ones writing NetworkManager?

Do all people have your user requirements? I would say scarcely any have in the grand scheme of things. Don't design a home networking solution that only provides benefits to 5% of people.

Maybe if VoIP becomes very popular but I haven't heard anything else that is end-user, and basically everyone and his monkey just has a provider-enabled VoIP solution that works through a regular phone. Where I live. I don't know about corporations.

I would really like a simple sign-in VoIP thing that registers my handset with a gateway, software on laptops and computers that can do the same, devices that can bridge DECT tO those VoIP terminals or bridges, so that I can simply do VoIP on a DECT phone, or on a smartphone that can receive dect, or on a laptop or computer. But it's not there right. I mean consumers are regularly just faced with Skype and that's it. Where is my VoIP account with accompanying phone number or internet phone address, on which I can call other people both online and on the regular network, unless it is by Skype? And Skype is WAY expensive to call regular mobile phones, WAY WAY expensive. You can easily get like 3ct/minute and with Skype it will be like WOW.

I do not know anyone personally that uses VoIP apart from their provider-issued thing, apart from one guy that used something where he had to acquire a phone number with one provider, an outgoing payment dial account from another. You know people don't use that. Maybe in businesses they do.

Regular people don't have VoIP apart from their ISP or telecom, which made no difference for them and didn't save them any money (mostly) unless they are calling people on the same (closed) network.

Regular people use a mobile phone for calling, some still have a landline, but the landline is now VoIP behind the scenes, not that that is any use to them, the system is still the same except that it cannot be used for dialup modems or on the case of an emergency anymore. There is not a soul alive that is not an IT tech guy that will really readily and clearly benefit from IPv6 as it is now being introduced apart from some fringe cases or use cases I don't know about.

Except of course, again, when you talk about this IoT guy that started the thread (hey Tim!) with rather high end media streaming and device controlling solutions that (for instance) require inside and outside operation whether your controlling device is inside and outside of the network or not. That's like, fastest possible solution to a problem.

NOT your regular thing that many people will have. 200+ devices? WHAT THE?

What does something like that COST???.

Like they say in the YouTube comments, "200.000 people in Africa could eat those 200+ devices ;-)".

I mean I see it a lot that Linux tech people have no clue about real world people, sorry if I say it in this way but it is true.

A skilled user installing OpenWRT. That is quite something.

That is 0.5% of the human population or less. In developed countries.

Probably much less than that okay.

One in two hundred people? No way.

No way!!!.

Make it one in a thousand and go lower than that. Okay. Really.

You are creating something that will only benefit you. Apart from the lack of addresses, but that could have been solved by extending it to 6 octets and keeping the rest the same.