Re: Homenet

By the way, if UPnP was ever a problem in terms of NAT security, obviously the problem is much worse in IPv6, since there is not even any NAT and all devices are always exposed.

Now even though you are living together in a "house" all "residents" now need to solve these issues on their own.

This makes it almost impossible to run any kind of home server, because the default setup is going to be: access internet services, don't worry about local network access or even if you do have it, accept that you will be at risk of getting hacked or exposed constantly.

The exposure might be dealt with by the protocols (if they work) but there is a high chance they won't, because the model at the beginning is that everything is exposed.

If your premise is complete exposure, if that is what you intend and want, then you won't be able to achieve meaningful protection in any way.

If you banish all clothes and then try to find a way for people to not see you naked, that won't work.

"So we have no clothes anymore, how can we find a way for people to not be cold and to not be seen naked? Hmmm difficult".

You know, maybe don't banish the clothes.

Maybe don't banish NAT.

Maybe don't banish localized, small, understandable networks.

Maybe don't banish the boundary between the local and the remote. Maybe not do away with membranes.

Nature has designed life around membranes, all cells have membranes. "Cell membranes protect and organize cells. All cells have an outer plasma membrane that regulates not only what enters the cell, but also how much of any given substance comes in."

The basic topology for IPv6 is so deeply misunderstood and misdesigned from my perspective....

That it tries to create a membrane based purely on subnet masking.

And that's not a safe thing because a misconfigured system automatically gives access. You want all internal addresses to be in the same pool (as the router accepts a list or segment of adddress from the ISP). The router is supposed to distribute those addresses across clients while allowing them to know and find each other, ie. by giving them the information on the subnet masks they are supposed to use. The subnet mask is everyone's potential and right to not care about any fixed boundaries between the local and the remote (wide) network.

Maybe you can call it empowerment (everyone has a public address). But it is also a huge loss of control. It's a loss of power. Networks that can't be configured by any individual person. Inability to shield anything from anyone in a real sense.

Local clients (ie. Linux and Windows computers and Mac computers and Android phones) now requiring the intelligence to safely distinguish between local and remote services, a problem that was never even solved in IPv4, let alone that IPv6 even stands the slightest chance of meaningfully solving it.

All of these devices needing to perfectly cooperate in order to find and know the local network. Particularly if there is a segmentation between "secure" and "insecure" or between "guest" and "resident". And what if you want two subnet masks for a different purpose? A managed switch has means to physically separate (in a way) two different nets on the same cables. You may be wanting to run a network of servers in your home that is separate from your local home network. You lose pretty much all control in being able to do this effectively.

Even if IPv6 gives some freedom or liberation, it is mostly due to the router allowing this. Everyone his own IP address. Everyone his own front door. People love that, in a way. But it also means you no longer have a family.