Re: Homenet

On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 08:43 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016, Xen wrote:

First of all, a random non-reusable address is clearly a bag of
nonsense, as
you indicate. That's no sane method of doing anything. Think of a
programming stack, queue or list. You want the queue, stack or list
remain in an elegant state, for instance that indices keep starting
at 0 and
that the first element is at index 0. You don't want a runaway
system where
the indices become higher and higher constantly but you expect not
to run
into trouble because you have reserved 64-bit for them.

Maybe I'm assuming, perhaps. Then enlighten me.
The privacy feature is optional.  When used, it is used only for
outgoing connections from the device.  There is still a fixed IP6
that
can be given out to things that need to connect to it.  It is
generally
a good idea not to use SLAAC if privacy is a concern, as that exposes
your MAC and can be tracked across multiple locations (e.g. if coffee
shops all had IP6 but no DHCP6, then your device would be recognized
at each coffee shop).

Note that there are also private stable addresses:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7217
https://blogs.gnome.org/lkundrak/2015/12/03/networkmanager-and-privacy-in-the-ipv6-internet/

Thomas