Re: NM can't see WEP access point

On Fri, 2016-06-10 at 10:11 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

<snip>
Jouni confirmed that there is a bug in the supplicant.  The
commit ce8963fc9f197771cd51ba2834fbdf711189641a ('Remove WEP40/WEP104
cipher suite support for WPA/WPA2') appears to have broken this
functionality (where the AP advertises WEP support in WPA/RSN IEs),
but
it will still work for WEP-only APs.  Not sure what his solution will
be, since this behavior (TSN) is technically allowed by the standards
for WPA1 (but not necessarily for WPA2/RSN, I believe).

We should likely also modify NM to not reject the AP if the RSN IE
fails to parse, but to simply ignore WPA2/RSN on that AP and only
allow
using TKIP, if present.  If the RSN IE fails to parse and the AP does
not support TKIP, then NM should correctly reject the AP, since
RSN+WEP
is not really a valid mode.

The only WEP-equivalent mode on the Airport Express (gen 1) I have is
labeled as "WEP (Transitional Security Network)".

I'll have to see how to set up a hotspot with WEP some other way for my
testing I think.

Cheers