Re: NM can't see WEP access point

On Thu, 2016-06-09 at 17:28 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Thu, 2016-06-09 at 10:23 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2016-06-09 at 17:13 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:

On Thu, 2016-06-09 at 10:00 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

<snip>

So I missed it before.  But your AP isn't actually set for WEP,
it's
set for WPA/TKIP.  If it's actually using just WEP, you won't
see
any
of the RSN/WPA IEs in the beacon.
Still isn't right that it's not showing though, is it?
Yeah.  Can you 'nmcli g log', then:

nmcli g log level debug domains <output from 'g log'
domains>,WIFI_SCAN

and then turn on airplane mode, turn it off, and wait for a bit
until
you're sure the AP doesn't get found by NM.  Then send me the logs
and
I'll take a look to see if I can figure out why NM doesn't find it.
 If
the supplicant sees it, but NM does not, then there's an NM bug
somewhere.
Well, wpa_supplicant is throwing an error when you try to get the
RSN,
so I don't really expect NM to be able to process that access point.

The AP's beacon indicates that it is using TSN (Transition Security
Network), since it's indicating WEP-104 as the group cipher (00 0f ac
05).  It looks like wpa_supplicant tries to handle that in some places,
but ultimately the IE parsing in wpa_parse_wpa_ie_rsn() doesn't allow
that, so the IE won't parse, and the supplicant wouldn't allow
assocaiting to that network either.

So it's a bug in the supplicant for TSN networks.  For other testing,
try disabling RSN/WPA2?  If the AP allows a "WEP-only" mode that's what
I'd use.  You want *nothing* in the beacon that indicates RSN or WPA
capabilities.