Re: NetworkManager dispatchers

Thanks!

How to I enable "service called NetworkManager-dispatcher or nm-dispatcher"? When I search for "dispatcher" in my filesystem only these come up:
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-dispatcher.conf
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher.service
/usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dispatcher.action
/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch_dispatcher

Starting MM as a service makes perfect sense.
The question is however, how do I find out when to say "enable" the modem, or to do a simple-connect? I was planning on using the dispatchers for all of that, to automate all of those. So basically:

- MM starts
- modem comes up, status -> Disabled
   - dispatcher kicks in: status -> Enabled
- dispatcher kicks in: simple-connect

Thanks!

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:36 AM, Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 17:16 -0800, Ali Nematollahi wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'm trying to experiment with NM dispatchers but I can't seem to get
> anything done. I have a very basic script
> in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/02test:
>
> #!/bin/sh -e
>
> echo "Starting ModemManager"
> ModemManager --debug &
>
> But it is not running. I have made sure the scripts and directories
> are executable (a+x). But I cannot seem to get the scripts to run.
>
> Can someone help me with this please?
> NetworkManager --version
> 0.9.4.0

You probably also need to enable a service called NetworkManager-
dispatcher or nm-dispatcher.

> Question 2: I wanted to use the dispatcher script to start
> ModemManager on startup and to enable the 3G modem I have. Can it be
> done? I have seen examples of how to start a connection when an
> interface comes up but nothing that could help me with this.

It looks very wrong to start ModemManager from a dispatcher script.
Those scripts are invoked often and at various times, you don't want to
start ModemManager every time something happens with a networking
interface.

Instead, start ModemManager as a regular system service, just like
NetworkManager.

Thomas