Re: dns update for ipv6 using dhcpv6

On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 19:18 +0000, Tim Coote wrote:
But can you not just configure ipv6.dhcp-send-hostname and
ipv6.dhcp-
hostname:

 nmcli connection modify $NAME ipv6.dhcp-send-hostname yes \
   ipv6.dhcp-hostname wibble.example.com
Well that was how I was setting ipv6.dhcp-hostname, but after
systemctl restart NetworkManager, it had been reset to '—‘. Now, I
must have changed something, as it doesn’t change the value at all!

Hmm. that was interesting. When I tried the nmcli command with $NAME
of System\ eth0 (the name of the connection), I found that I was
getting two ipv6.dhcp-hostname values.  I’ve now got a new
configuration file: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-System_eth0
(!)

I’m not very familiar with how NM is supposed to translate to/from
underlying networking implementations (e.g. the redhat ifcf-* files +
networking-scripts). I’d guess that NM abstracts the different models
to its own object model and reads/writes to the underlying
configuration files + some files of its own. I can see it being a
challenge keeping both models consistent as the data must be round-
tripped (e.g. read from fileX, modify, write back into the correct
part of fileX.), and sometimes data elements may be ignored (so their
fate may be ambiguous).

Should I report a bug for the above behaviour (assuming that I can
get a repeatable approach)?

Hi Tim,

I don't think there is a bug there.

The modify command modifies an existing connection.

Note that the name is not a unique ID, maybe you had multiple
connections with "System eth0" name?

Note that a connection can be in-memory only. If you modify a
connection, it gets persisted to disk (unless you specify
--temporary).

In some cases, NM might generates a in-memory connection.

You would see all connections with `nmcli connection`.

Thomas