Re: NM changes DHCP address too easily

On Fri, 2016-04-22 at 15:28 +0300, matti kaasinen wrote:
Hi!

I have found NM switching DHCP address quite frequently, which is
pretty annoying as this happens on embedded board that has only
internet access available. I read from web that you have borrowed
Connman internal DHCP client to your latest releases. I hope you have
also adopted Connman convention also for this addressing as I never
experienced this feature with Connman. DHCP address assigned first
time never changed. I found also a lead from web telling that this
problem could be caused from corrupted initial time to be cured with
RTC. In fact I do have RTC, but it does not have proper battery back-
up - just a supercap to keep time over relatively short break. Also
there is bug in current CPU versions stopping RTC clock when CPU
power is down.

If this problem is an initial time issue together with lease
information stored in /var/lib/NetworkManager/, would it be possible
to work this problem out by ignoring timestamp if the current time is
less than in timestamp stored in above directory? Could this not be
done relatively easily?

Hi Matti,

NetworkManager supports plugins for DHCP. You configure the plugin via
by putitng "main.dhcp=" to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

So your question might depend on which plugin you are using.

Since NM 1.0, there is the "internal" plugin which uses (the not yet
released) libsystemd-network library. That library was also contributed
to systemd by Connman developers, but we don't use any Connman library.

Which plugin are you using? Does it change when setting "dhcp=internal"
or "dhcp=dhclient"?

Thomas