Re: device not connecting with type=unknown

On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 17:02 -0500, Alex Ferm wrote:
I have an embedded arm device running network-manager 1.0.6 with a usb
ethernet gadget that I want to automatically connect using DHCP.
NetworkManager shows the device type as unknown rather than ethernet,
and I was unable to connect with a connection who's type was set to
ethernet. I changed it to generic and was able to connect. I do have the
autoconnect flag set to "true", but I have to manually connect using nmcli.

Is there any way I can get it to autoconnect? This device is intended to
be headless with the network being the main method of communication.

So you said "gadget"...  There's a couple ways things identify
themselves, so lets see what yours does.  What is the output of:

cat /sys/class/net/<interface name>/type
cat /sys/class/net/<interface name>/uevent

I'll bet when you cat the uevent file, you see DEVTYPE=gadget ?
Currently NM only recognizes ethernet interfaces that don't set DEVTYPE
(which includes almost all of them) as real ethernet, because various
"virtual" types are the ones that set devtype and we don't want to treat
them as actual physical ethernet.  Gadget is somewhat special though, so
maybe NM needs an update to treat 'gadget' as ethernet.