device not connecting with type=unknown

I have an embedded arm device running network-manager 1.0.6 with a usb ethernet gadget that I want to automatically connect using DHCP. NetworkManager shows the device type as unknown rather than ethernet, and I was unable to connect with a connection who's type was set to ethernet. I changed it to generic and was able to connect. I do have the autoconnect flag set to "true", but I have to manually connect using nmcli.

Is there any way I can get it to autoconnect? This device is intended to be headless with the network being the main method of communication.

Thank you,
Alex Ferm
PetroPower, LLC.
3003 E. 37th Street N.