Re: IPv6 with DHCP -- how is default route set?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 04:43:55PM -0400, Stuart Gathman wrote:

On 10/20/2015 02:28 PM, Eloy Paris wrote:

Are these delays normal; do they depend on the frequency of router
advertisements? If so, can NM not elicit a router advertisements by
sending a router solicitation? If that is what is supposed to happen
then I don't understand the delays. In contrast, IPv4 configuration
is immediate.

Part of the problem is NM groups together route discovery and SLAAC,
this makes it unusable for us in our ipv6 only clusters. I'm in
the process of fixing this now so you can still have proper route
discovery and use dhcpv6 or static addressing and then you'll get
the immediate ipv6 configuration. Thanks,

That'd be nice; I look forward to this in a future NM release.

I just set radvd frequency to 10 secs. Still not "instant", but fast
enough for government work, and not too much overhead.

That's a good "workaround". Another one is to use SLAAC, which seems
to result in instantaneous configuration under NM. The problem is on
corporate network environments where the IT folks have configured the
network for stateful configuration (DHCPv6) -- in those environments it
is not possible for a regular employee (my case, for example) to change
the frequency of RA messages, or to move to SLACC from DHCPv6.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-