Re: IPv6 with DHCP -- how is default route set?

On 10/20/2015 12:37 PM, Eloy Paris wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the response. A few comments below (inline)...

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 06:20:21PM +0200, Thomas Haller wrote:

On Tue, 2015-10-20 at 11:29 -0400, Eloy Paris wrote:
Hello,

The company I work for has an IPv6-enabled network that requires
configuration via DHCP. I get assigned a global IPv6 address just
fine
after configuring the NetworkManager entry for my NIC with
"Automatic,
DHCP only".

Usually, the default gateway comes via the Router-Advertisements.

I would rather expect that you choose

   "Automatic",

which will use RA + DHCP6 (if the RouterAdvertisements indicate to use
DHCP).

"Automatic, DHCP only" will not use RA at all.

I see. I had been using "Automatic, DHCP only" because I thought that
when using "Automatic" nothing happened (no global IP address was
obtained). However, I just tried and it worked, and a default IPv6 route
was even installed.

I realize now that it is not that nothing happened but that things took
a long time (a couple of minutes) to happen -- first, there was a delay
to get an IPv6 address, and then there was a delay (after the interface
had a global IPv6 address) to see the default route installed.

Are these delays normal; do they depend on the frequency of router
advertisements? If so, can NM not elicit a router advertisements by
sending a router solicitation? If that is what is supposed to happen
then I don't understand the delays. In contrast, IPv4 configuration is
immediate.

Part of the problem is NM groups together route discovery and SLAAC, this makes it unusable for us in our ipv6 only clusters. I'm in the process of fixing this now so you can still have proper route discovery and use dhcpv6 or static addressing and then you'll get the immediate ipv6 configuration. Thanks,

Josef