Why is NM preferring wwan over wifi?

I've noticed that a default route on a wifi network is assigned a
default metric of 600, while a default route on a wwan connection gets
a default metric of 450.

The effect of this is that the host will prefer to use wwan over wifi
when both are enabled. That's the exact opposite of what I'd expect
(based on precedent set by pretty much every smart-phone in the world).

While I can easily set different route-metrics on the connections in
question, I'm just wondering whether or not this order of preference is
really intentional?

Curiously enough, when both wifi and wwan are connected, the
nm-applet's systray will display the wifi icon (not the wwan one with
the little antenna), tricking me into believing that the wifi is indeed
the "active" connection.

Tore