nmcli can not join hidden networks?

System details:
Ubuntu 14.04
nmcli v. 0.9.8.8

I've spent the afternoon Googling and I'm out of ideas.
It appears that there is no way to connect to a hidden SSID from nmcli.

If I, for example try:
$ sudo nmcli dev wifi con '<SSID>' password '<Password>' name 'hidden AP'

I get an error response:
$ Error: No network with SSID '<SSID>' found.

I can use the network manager applet to create/connect to this hidden AP, but I need a non-GUI/command-line-only solution. I don't see any other appropriate options/flags to set in the nmcli command.

Is there some secret sauce I'm missing?

Thanks!

-Preston