Re: Interaction between systemd-networkd and NetworkManager

Dear Thomas,

thank you for your reply!

Am Freitag, den 23.01.2015, 11:42 +0100 schrieb Thomas Haller:
On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 08:37 +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:

Running `systemd-analyze blame`, it shows that the service
NetworkManager still needs 580 ms to finish. Note that this is smaller
than the actual needed time.

I think that systemd declares NetworkManager as started after NM
acquires its DBUS interface.  What do you mean with "the actual needed
time"?

Thank you for clearing that up. I mean that this does not mean that the
interfaces have actually been configured and the network is usable.

Could you please confirm that this is the expected behavior? If not, has
this been fixed in later versions or do I need to configure something
differently?

You have a connection "Kabelgebundene Verbindung 1", which is set to
autoconnect=yes. Hence, NetworkManager is doing as told. Either change
the autoconnect setting or delete the connection.

Note that this connection was probably autogenerated by NetworkManager.

It probably was.

If you delete it, NM will not generate it anew.
Also, if you would have set "no-auto-default=eth1" in the configuration,
NM would also not have created this connection in the first place, but
as it is, you can just delete it.

That system has been set up before systemd-networkd was a thing, so I
used NetworkManager back then. Now I wanted to jump on the
systemd-networkd bandwagon and just configured it, hoping that
NetworkManager would notice that this has the same configuration as
“Kabelgebundene Verbindung 1”.

For a start, I’ll try to disable the setting `autoconnect` to see what
effect that has on `systemd-analyze blame`.

Thanks,

Paul