Re: How Embedded is NetworkManager

On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 17:45 +0000, Richard Willis wrote:
I’m posting this question first just to ascertain if using
NetworkManager is possible in the embedded project I am working on.

This project uses multiple networking interfaces (Eth, WiFi,
GSM-Radio, Bluetooth) but runs as a “headless” black box, gathering
telemetry information and providing some gateway support.
NetworkManager would be a very good fit for this device, but I am
concerned that NetworkManager may have link dependencies for GUI
support, something the product does not have.

I’m interesting in hearing if anyone has tried running NetworkManager
without any GUI.. is it possible?

FYI, product is similar to a BeagleBone Black.. OS is a variant of
Yocto, but we can run Debian Wheezy for initial experimentations.

Thanks,

Hi Richard,

we are very much interested in NetworkManager being able to run in
restricted environments (whatever that means exactly :) ).

So, in general I would expect NetworkManager to work well for you. And
if you encounter any issues, we would be happy to hear about them.

Especially if you compile NetworkManager yourself, you should be able to
reduce dependencies further. YMMV.

good luck,
Thomas