Re: Gobi 3000 (1199:901F)

On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 12:01 -0500, Jeremy Moles wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm not entirely sure where else to ask this, and I'm
somewhat desperate at this point having tried everything I'm capable of.
We have a machine here with the card listed in the subject. It shows up
in lsusb as:
1199:901f Sierra Wireless, Inc.
It will work in Linux so far if--and ONLY IF--you boot into Windows
first and then soft reboot into Linux. it appears that Windows does
something to the modem that Linux (currently) does not, and I was
wondering if anyone here had any advice on what I might try.

It works if you boot into Windows first because the driver in windows
'uploads' the firmware into the device and 'boots' it.  Then it is
operational until the device is power cycled either by the host being
power cycled *or* the host powering off the device [hibernation, etc...]

2) I downloaded the CodeAurora GobiSerial driver (which, according to
the changelog has a fix for "powering on" a device) and modified it to
work with 3.17 and 3.18 kernels (essentially, this involved re-exporting
usb-serial.c symbols like usb_serial_probe the code relied on). However,
I haven't had a chance to try this yet, and I'm not entirely convinced
(after looking through the code) it really does anything qcserial doesn't.

If this driver uploads the binary wad it is likely this will work.

At least this reflects my previous experience getting a Gobi device to
work; albeit of a different vintage.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383