Re: Timeout for VPN connections

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 12:14 +0200, Franck Routier (perso) wrote:
Hi list,

I have a problem with a (open)VPN connection that times out with Network
Manager, but will work fine with command line openvpn.
It will take a looooong time (2-3 minutes), but it will finally work.

Any idea why it takes so long?  I'm not against bumping the timeout, I'm
just curious.  It seems like 40 seconds with OpenVPN would either be
extreme latency on the link, high packet loss, or a very loaded server?

Dan

It seems that a 40s timeout is hardcoded in NetworkManager
(vpn-manager/nm-vpn-connection.c)

static void
connect_success (NMVPNConnection *connection)
{
     NMVPNConnectionPrivate *priv = NM_VPN_CONNECTION_GET_PRIVATE
(connection);

     /* 40 second timeout waiting for IP config signal from VPN service */
     priv->connect_timeout = g_timeout_add_seconds (40,
connect_timeout_cb, connection);

     g_hash_table_destroy (priv->connect_hash);
     priv->connect_hash = NULL;
}

See also this ticket on Ubuntu, with a patch and PPA :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/420411

Would it make sense to change the default timeout, or even better make
it configurable ?

Regards,
Franck