Re: Trouble building NetworkManager

On 6/27/2014 8:19 AM, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 13:54 +0200, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 10:58 +0200, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Thu, 2014-06-26 at 19:28 -0400, Chris Shenkan wrote:

I have now a similar issue:

On Fedora, if I remove the gobject-introspection-devel package, the
following fails:

$ git clean -fdx && ./autogen.sh --enable-gtk-doc && make
Making all in api
make[3]: Entering directory `/data/src/NetworkManager/docs/api'
   DOC   Preparing build
   DOC   Scanning header files
   DOC   Introspecting gobjects
   DOC   Rebuilding template files
   DOC   Building XML
/bin/sh: -chmod: command not found
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../../libnm-util/nm-setting-docs.xml', needed by `settings-spec.xml'.
Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/data/src/NetworkManager/docs/api'

But it does not fail during configure, but during make.

I think this was broken by commit
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=8252ebd941d17fff932023d29aac0bfe436d4bf9

The workaround is to install gobject-introspection-devel, or configure
with --disable-gtk-doc.

Oh, and after that, ./generate-setting-docs.py still fails.
(now I got the error you had, Chis).

First I get:

   CCLD     libtest-crypto.la
   GISCAN   NetworkManager-1.0.gir
./generate-setting-docs.py \
         --gir ./NetworkManager-1.0.gir \
         --output nm-setting-docs.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./generate-setting-docs.py", line 19, in <module>
     from gi.repository import NetworkManager, GObject
ImportError:  No module named gi.repository
make[4]: *** [nm-setting-docs.xml] Error 1

So, I need pygobject3-base (guess, ./configure should detect that too?)

After installing pygobject3-base, I get:

make[4]: Entering directory `/NetworkManager/libnm-util'
./generate-setting-docs.py \
         --gir ./NetworkManager-1.0.gir \
         --output nm-setting-docs.xml
ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for NetworkManager
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./generate-setting-docs.py", line 19, in <module>
     from gi.repository import NetworkManager, GObject
ImportError: cannot import name NetworkManager

Note, that installing NetworkManager-glib does not necessarily solve the issue:

./generate-setting-docs.py \
         --gir ./NetworkManager-1.0.gir \
         --output nm-setting-docs.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./generate-setting-docs.py", line 167, in <module>
     new_func = NetworkManager.__getattr__(settingxml.attrib['name'])
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/module.py", line 313, in __getattr__
     return getattr(self._introspection_module, name)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/module.py", line 134, in __getattr__
     self.__name__, name))
AttributeError: 'gi.repository.NetworkManager' object has no attribute 'SettingDcb'
make[4]: *** [nm-setting-docs.xml] Error 1

and of course,  building NM should not require NM-glib.
I guess, ./generate-setting-docs.py should set it's search path, to find
$(top_srcdir)/libnm-util/NetworkManager-1.0.typelib ...

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Looks like I forgot to hit reply all, sorry for the double message that you'll receive!

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I cannot access my development PC at home (from work) due to a power outage in my area. Power has been restored up but I have no one to power my machine on for ssh access Upon returning home from work at 5 EST I will continue to investigate based on your input and answer your questions more completely.

For now I can say the errors shown above match the situation on both computers.

All I am doing is running jhbuild with a default configuration (gcc 4.8.3). When I reached the NM module it failed to build with the specified errors on both computers. The error appears to occur during the make as you said. My ./configure line is equivalent to whatever is in the default Makefile generated by jhbuild.

On Ubuntu, I receive the ImportError: cannot import name NetworkManager error, I'll see what effect installing NetworkManager-glib has on it.

On Arch, I'm receiving the error you're showing following installation of NetworkManager-glib:

AttributeError: 'gi.repository.NetworkManager' object has no attribute 'SettingDcb'
make[4]: *** [nm-setting-docs.xml] Error 1

Although I don't recall specifically installing NetworkManager-glib.

I will investigate further and post my full build log upon returning home, as well as attempt and share the effect of the workarounds you suggested.

Thanks,
Chris