Re: Headless VPN connections

On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 10:30 +0200, D.S. Ljungmark wrote:
Ah. That means we have to deploy the primary connections as well.
Right now those are auto generated and not stored persistently.

I'll try that, any thing else I can try?

On 16 Jul 2014 10:24, "Thomas Haller" <thaller redhat com> wrote:
        On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 02:59 +0200, D.S. Ljungmark wrote:
        > So, I have now something that works.
        >
        > it can connect to vpn manually.
        >
        > Next up, how do I get autoconnect to work? I thought
        > "connection.autoconnect" was enough, but appearantly that's
        not the case.

        > What am I missing? ipv4 + ipv6 network comes up normally as
        it should.

        [[ I did not test this myself, but I think... ]]

        connection.autoconnect is ignored by VPN type connections.

        What might work for you, is setting the
        "connection.secondaries" option
        of the parent ethernet/wifi-connection. One downside of this
        is that the
        parent connection is not part of the VPN-keyfile that you want
        deploy.

        Thomas

You could also use dispatcher scripts. See `man NetworkManager`.

You need to enable NetworkManager-dispatcher service (not sure how that
works on Debian. On Fedora you would `systemctl enable
NetworkManager-dispatcher`. Maybe it already works).

then ads a root-owned script -- with proper access rights(?) --
to /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d

It can react on the status changes and call `nmcli connection up id
my-vpn`.

Downside: if for some reason the establishing of the VPN fails, users
might communicate insecurely. And there is a short time after the parent
interface connects, where the traffic does not yet go over the VPN.

I think you could work around that, by setting never-default=no in the
parent connection and/or not configuring any routes there
(ignore-auto-routes?)... but then you must again deploy a parent
connection...

Thomas