Re: Fwd: Having a hard time with NetworkManager on ArchLinux

Ok, some good news.  I'm now typing this e-mail on my laptop through my wireless!

I rebooted my machine and then proceeded to re-connect using NetworkManager and got a connection.  I don't know exactly why, but I'm inclined to believe that it has to do with the fact that I removed some previously set state (perhaps having dhcpcd release the wlp3s0 resource after rebooting?) and had NM do the setup that it needed to do.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> wrote:
Hi Yves,

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 05:35 -0500, Yves S. Garret wrote:

> I've already enabled and started NM.  I see it with a state of
> "running" when I do systemctl.
>

> As for my comment of doing it manually, there is a little tutorial
> that was written for Arch Linux.  In it, you can either make the
> connection in a manual fashion or have an another tool it
> automatically for you.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup#Wireless_management

If you are using NetworkManager (or wicd, ConnMan, ...), you don't
manually use ip, dhclient, ... (unless you have a good reason to).

> When I start NM,

Usually, NetworkManager (the deamon) starts at boot time, as you enabled
it with systemctl. What you click on, is a GUI front-end, to tell
NetworkManger what to do. Probably it's nm-applet (Gnome3 and KDE
usually come with different ones).

> I go into the top right-hand location and click on the applet and
> select my network.  Sometimes I see a window asking for a passphrase
> -- which I enter and click Connect -- and then wait for some sort of
> response.  But, the only thing that happens is that the same window
> re-appears.  I know that the passphrase is correct (checked many
> times.)

You should check, that the WiFi connection you are trying to connect is
properly configured. You can right-click on the icon of nm-applet and do
"Edit connections".

If you cannot figure out whats wrong, it might be helpful to look at the
logfiles and provide more information

  journalctl -b 0 _SYSTEMD_UNIT=NetworkManager.service

> What I ultimately want NM to do is give me the ability to connect to
> various wireless connections (Library, Home, parents Home, etc.)
> without going through the manual setup (as described in the above
> link) of making such a connection.

Sure, that sounds doable :)

Thomas