Re: ANN: NetworkManager 1.0.0 released!

Are you suggesting that by default NM should try with IPv4 or IPv6 PDP
context types if both are enabled and IPV4V6 fails?

Yes, I think that would be the best solution.

In QMI modems it is ModemManager the one connecting separately IPv4
and IPv6 WDS sessions when IPv4v6 is requested.

Yep, when that's possible that's even better. My Nokia 21M-02 does
pretty much the same in the firmware. But I'm not so sure if we can
rely on such functionality always being possible?

MBIM allows to request IPv4v6 or separate IPv4 and IPv6; currently we
try one or the other, because the ModemManager API allows asking for
both cases. The fact that in QMI we default to separate IPv4 and IPv6
is because we can do so using different WDS clients on the same
control port, but maybe we shouldn't, and instead just expose we
support separate IPv4 and IPv6?

Nope.  As discussed recently, we need to be aware of the distintion
between IPV4, IPV6 and IPV4V6 on QMI modems as well.  Your first QMI
WDS start network command will select one of these types.  The second
start network command can only succeed if the selected type was IPV4V6.

On the other hand, as Tore points out, there might be situations where
you want to select IPV4 or IPV6 explicitly, even if the modem appears to
support IPV4V6.

So you need the full context type choice for QMI as well.  The odd
two-step dual-stack connection does not change this.  The PDP type is
always selected by the first connection.

Is that true even if we use different separate WDS clients? If either
IPv4v6 and IPv4+IPv6 are selected for a QMI modem, MM's logic will
create separate WDS clients, each of them with a different "Set IP
Family Preference" set before calling "Start Network". Are we
achieving something correct with this logic? Or not? And if not, how
are we supposed to request IPv4v6 using only QMI? (i.e. not with the
default profile being configured via AT commands).

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es