Re: ANN: NetworkManager 1.0.0 released!

Hi Aleksander,

Are you suggesting that by default NM should try with IPv4 or IPv6 PDP
context types if both are enabled and IPV4V6 fails?

Yes, I think that would be the best solution.

In QMI modems it is ModemManager the one connecting separately IPv4
and IPv6 WDS sessions when IPv4v6 is requested.

Yep, when that's possible that's even better. My Nokia 21M-02 does
pretty much the same in the firmware. But I'm not so sure if we can
rely on such functionality always being possible?

Unfortunately I don't know of any command that we could use to query
the MBIM modem of supported IP types.

You're getting that NoDeviceSupport error out of it somehow, would it
be possible to probe all three when the modem is initialised?

If MBIM modems do not always handle IPv4v6 PDP context types, and if
there is no MBIM command to ask for that, should we instead default to
not showing IPv4v6 as supported?

No, I think that's a bad idea. That would mean that IPV4V6 won't work
even if the modem and the network supports it just fine, and IPV4V6
support is something several operators are rolling out these days.

Besides, I think retry logic is needed to handle the case where the
modem (not necessarily MBIM) does support IPV4V6 but the network
operator does not *anyway*, and that would deal nicely with this
special case for MBIM modems mis-reporting IPV4V6 support too.

Tore