Re: IPv6 and IP in parallel

Hi Thomas,

On 08/25/14 19:53, Thomas Haller wrote:

when you start NetworkManager...

..., and the interface has already some IP configuration, NM tries to
take over that configuration non-destructively (1). In that case, NM
looks for a matching connection and pretends that the connection is
already active on your device -- without actually changing the device.

If no matching connection can be found, it creates a connection. That
connection is in-memory only, until you delete it or until you
save/modify it. That was "eth0" you see, and it contains dhcp data,
because NM does not know that some parts came via DHCP6.

So it sees the IPv6 configuration on eth0 coming from somewhere,
doesn't find a connection configuration for it, takes eth0 as it
is and doesn't setup IPv4?

Do you think this could be improved? IMHU IPv4 and IPv6 are separate
protocols with different means for configuration and very little in
common. Shouldn't n-m use/create separate connections for these
protocols?

[snip]

You can avoid (1) by not configuring the interface externally.

Surely this "somewhere" is something I have to investigate. Stay tuned.

I highly appreciate your explanation. That was very helpful.

Regards
Harri