Re: WiFi: Problem with Entreprise networks (with multiple routers)

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 18:39 +0200, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
Hello Dan and thank you for this answer,

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 09:41 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
This problem is most definitely a supplicant issue.  The supplicant
roams too aggressively, even if the currently associated access point
has a very good signal.  We've patched that in Fedora, but as you
indicate, your kernel wifi driver is also not working correctly when
reporting signal strength.

Thank you for these details!
Do you know if it's possible to configure wpa_supplicant (via NM or not)
to be less aggressive but without having to patch it? (or to force it to
not switch between access points?).

I know that we can force wpa_supplication to try to connect to a
specific access point (by using the mac address) but it's not what I
want: I don't want to change the settings each time I want to connect to
a different access point of this network.

Correct, you want to keep roaming enabled, and that's not possible
(obviously) when locking to a specific access point.  There a few things
that will make this better:

1) Apply the following patch to your wpa_supplicant, which will make the
problem much better but
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/wpa_supplicant.git/tree/rh837402-less-aggressive-roaming.patch

2) Apply the following commit to your NetworkManager packages, which
requests that the supplicant scan for roaming a little less often:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=dd9cf657ef1f9d5909dad2eb697098715325fecf

3) Wait for some upstream changes to the supplicant, which will include
*some* form of the above patch, as well as one I posted upstream to
request the supplicant not to roam as a result of an information-only
scan that NetworkManager periodically does.

Obviously all these fixes depend on the kernel driver also reporting the
signal strength correctly...