Re: WiFi: Problem with Entreprise networks (with multiple routers)

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 03:36 -0400, Pavel Simerda wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthieu Baerts" <matttbe gmail com>
To: "networkmanager-list" <networkmanager-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:23:03 PM
Subject: WiFi: Problem with Entreprise networks (with multiple routers)

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for developing and maintaining NetworkManager!

I'm using NetworkManager on my campus' WiFi (WPA2 Enterprise with PEAP
and MSCHAPv2) and I've a problem only with this network: after a few
time, I'm disconnected or I'm still connected but I can no longer ping a
random server.

Note I'm not the only one which is using NM and which has this problem.
I don't have any other OS on my computer but it seems there are less
problem when using another OS (e.g. MacOSX) or another network manager
(e.g. Wicd).

I suspect that NM often switches from a router to another one (there are
always a few WiFi routers around me with the same name and using the
same network) and my drivers, my WiFi card and/or the routers/network
don't support that.

It's more about multiple access points than multiple routers, then?

If I'm just next to a router (when the signal level is ~100%), it seems
that I don't have this problem.
Also, I think that my WiFi driver doesn't detect very well the
quality/signal level of non connected routers (many routers have a
signal level of 100% even if they are not next to me).

Is there a way to configure NM to be "less aggressive" when switching
between routers? (e.g. only switch if we're about to be disconnected and
not just to have the router with the higher signal level?)
Or an option to just disable this feature?
(I didn't find any option about that, sorry if I miss something!)

Sounds more like wpa_supplicant or the driver. You'd have to know what exactly you expect from
NetworkManager, i.e. how exactly its communication to wpa_supplicant differs from that of Wicd. I'm not a
Wi-Fi guru, though.

This problem is most definitely a supplicant issue.  The supplicant
roams too aggressively, even if the currently associated access point
has a very good signal.  We've patched that in Fedora, but as you
indicate, your kernel wifi driver is also not working correctly when
reporting signal strength.