NetworkManager status during startup

Hello,

during startup we have a few scripts that have to know if the system is online or not. Therefore we wanted to use "nm-online -x" to detect the state, however this fails quite unexpectedly: it seems NetworkManager needs some time between returning and actually listening to requests. In the meantime it will report the system as being offline.

Stopping NetworkManager and calling
        NetworkManager; nmcli dev
has the same effect and will result in the message "Error: NetworkManager is not running."

Is this behavior intentional and / or are there any other ways to get the current state without polling manually?

Thanks a lot,
Ignaz