Re: NetworkManager status during startup

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 18:31 +0200, Ignaz Forster wrote:
Hello,

during startup we have a few scripts that have to know if the system is
online or not. Therefore we wanted to use "nm-online -x" to detect the
state, however this fails quite unexpectedly: it seems NetworkManager
needs some time between returning and actually listening to requests. In
the meantime it will report the system as being offline.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean here?  Do you mean that if you
run NetworkManager, and shortly thereafter, nm-online, that nm-online
will exit before a network connection has started?

Stopping NetworkManager and calling
      NetworkManager; nmcli dev
has the same effect and will result in the message "Error:
NetworkManager is not running."

Is this behavior intentional and / or are there any other ways to get
the current state without polling manually?

We could update nm-online with a new option to wait for NM to connect to
D-Bus (it would get the NameOwnerChanged signal from dbus), which would
be fairly trivial.