Re: ModemManager serial port lock-files

On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 17:43 +0400, Dmitry Ivanyushin wrote:
I am working with git version of MM and Ubuntu 12.04.

I have three different physical serial (RS232) ports and they are not
USB-to-serial. Now MM probes all of them. I want MM to automatically detect
the port the modem is connected to but there're another devices controlled
by another daemon.

If there were lock files, my daemon wouldn't probe the ports which are
locked by MM and vice-versa.

ModemManager does not use lockfiles as there are various well-understood
problems with them.  It does, however use TIOCEXCL which any other
program using doing serial stuff should probably be doing too.  Doing it
through the ioctl means there are no stale lock files left if something
crashes and no need to write stuff out to random places.

Dan