Re: QMI and LTE: IP connection problems

"Martin Anderseck" <Martin Anderseck ni com> writes:

Hi all,

As promised I'm now coming back to you with the results of my
research. Seems like the firmware bug was our problem. I compiled the
latest stable kernel and now it works fine. Time for the next tests
:-)

Great!

(I realize I should have added some counters so we could actually verify
that the driver does per packet fixups)

Can anyone estimate how long it'll take until this patch arrives in
standard Ubuntu kernels?

They are in the Ubuntu maintained 3.5-stable branch, so I expect the
next 3.5 Ubuntu kernel will include them (if not already released?):

     bjorn nemi:/usr/local/src/git/linux$ git log --oneline stable/linux-3.5.y..ubuntu/linux-3.5.y --
drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c
     b495b2c net: qmi_wwan: prevent duplicate mac address on link (firmware bug workaround)
     88ccb8f net: qmi_wwan: fixup destination address (firmware bug workaround)
     6d04f29 net: qmi_wwan: fixup missing ethernet header (firmware bug workaround)
     d872c1e qmi_wwan/cdc_ether: add device IDs for Dell 5804 (Novatel E371) WWAN card
     cf54691 qmi_wwan/cdc_ether: add Dell Wireless 5800 (Novatel E362) USB IDs
     8e450db qmi_wwan/cdc_ether: move Novatel 551 and E362 to qmi_wwan

They are not yet in the Ubuntu maintained 3.8-stable branch, however:

     bjorn nemi:/usr/local/src/git/linux$ git log --oneline v3.8..ubuntu/linux-3.8.y --
drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c
     bcc5069 qmi_wwan/cdc_ether: add device IDs for Dell 5804 (Novatel E371) WWAN card
     bd61ca5 qmi_wwan, cdc-ether: add ADU960S
     7c9704c net: qmi_wwan: set correct altsetting for Gobi 1K devices

I have no idea what their plans are, but I would be surprised if they
didn't pick these for v3.8 also. The patches were added to v3.9 at a
very late stage and forwarded to stable by davem, so they should
definitely be on the radar of any stable kernel maintainer.

You could open an Ubuntu bug and ask for these in v3.8, I guess.

Bjørn