Re: discuss: NM server defaults

From: "Dan Winship" <danw gnome org>
On 07/01/2013 04:14 PM, Dan Winship wrote:
danw, any rationale behind the argument for ignore-carrier?

Servers, by definition, tend to have fixed IP addresses. Therefore, if
you are using DHCP on a server, it's probably for ease of deployment,
not because you want dynamism.

Any response to this theory?

Mine was posted already. From my point of view, dynamic behavior is the way to achieve the ease of
deployment. Static mapping of identification to configuration is handled on the server side.

So currently I am thinking for 0.9.10:

  - flip the default value of monitor-connection-files from true
    to false for all users, not just server (with a release note)

A weak +1.

  - ship a server.conf with:
      no-auto-default=*

+1

      ignore-carrier=*

A weak -1.

  - tweak the ignore-carrier behavior so that if an ignore-carrier
    device comes up, and it has no active connection, and a DHCP
    connection could be activated on it, then we activate that
    connection.

+1

And for "future":

  - further improve the ignore-carrier/DHCP behavior, so that if
    an ignore-carrier device comes up, and it *does* have an active
    DHCP connection, we renew the lease without taking the device
    down.

It's a little bit against the meaning of 'ignore' but sounds reasonable.

Actually, I remember we talked about differentiating between the activation role of carrier and the
deactivation one. What was the outcome? Is it reasonable to have a configuration that waits for carrier when
activating but keeps the connection after losing carrier? Also, there's the Ethernet 4 second timeout which
would be a good adept for a configuration option ranging from 0 to infinity.

Pavel