Re: discuss: NM server defaults

On 07/01/2013 04:14 PM, Dan Winship wrote:
danw, any rationale behind the argument for ignore-carrier?

Servers, by definition, tend to have fixed IP addresses. Therefore, if
you are using DHCP on a server, it's probably for ease of deployment,
not because you want dynamism.

Any response to this theory?

So currently I am thinking for 0.9.10:

  - flip the default value of monitor-connection-files from true
    to false for all users, not just server (with a release note)

  - ship a server.conf with:
      no-auto-default=*
      ignore-carrier=*

  - tweak the ignore-carrier behavior so that if an ignore-carrier
    device comes up, and it has no active connection, and a DHCP
    connection could be activated on it, then we activate that
    connection.

And for "future":

  - further improve the ignore-carrier/DHCP behavior, so that if
    an ignore-carrier device comes up, and it *does* have an active
    DHCP connection, we renew the lease without taking the device
    down.

-- Dan