Sierra Wireless 330u modem does not register

I have an ARM device that I'm trying to make use a Sierra Wireless 330U to connect to Bell Canada. I'm working on getting ModemManager on the device, but I'm fighting cross-compilation issues.

Until then, I'm trying to connect it manually and I'm having trouble.

First, when putting the modem in a Windows laptop or a Cradlepoint device, it registers and connects almost immediately, so the SIM is fine and it's in a serviceable area. Also, this device works with other modems, including the very similar Sierra Wireless 313U, so the USB port is fine. The modem is not registering with the network. +CEREG? gives 0,2 (or I can set CEREG=2 to get notifications, and it gives me 2,2). +CREG and +CGREG also give me a 2.
+CFUN is 1. Setting it to 0 and back to 1 doesn't cause it to register.
+CPIN? returns "+CPIN: READY", which (I believe) means it doesn't need a PIN for the SIM. The APN is setup as either pda.bell.ca or inet.bell.ca (I'm trying both) using +CGDCONT in context id 1; there is no username or password needed. (although I don't think this stuff matters - it should register anyway) Attempting to attach to the packet service using AT+CGATT=1 just hangs for a while before returning OK.

Here's some additional info:
ATI
Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model: AirCard 330U
Revision: SWI9200X_03.00.08.03AP R4019 CARMD-EN-10527 2011/12/07 18:43:13
IMEI: 359615040643324
IMEI SV: 7
FSN: CDU3042004310
3GPP Release 8
+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 020: ID 1199:68aa
the lsusb on the device doesn't support lsusb -v, but the class/subclass/protocol are 0xFF/0xFF/0xFF.