Re: Custom device plugin

On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 23:06 +0000, Kirill Elagin wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I hardly know anything about NetworkManager internals, but I've
> recently got a question and I've decided to just ask it here instead
> of doing lots of researching, so excuse me, please, if the answer is
> obvious.
>

> Here in Russia we have a company, Yota, that provides LTE access
> through custom-made modems. Those modems use RNDIS, so NetworkManager
> thinks they are just network adapters. But they are wireless modems
> and I want NetworkManager to display, say, signal level as it does
> with UMTS-modems. The devices have a built-in web-server that provides
> status information, so obtaining it is just a matter of an
> HTTP-request and here is the question: is it possible to make
> NetworkManager recognise those devices and display that information
> (plugin or something)?

I'll assume these are the Yota LTE (LU150?) USB sticks based on the GCT
chipset, vid 1076 pid 8003.  If not please elighten me :)

I'm happy to take a patch for these devices, but first we'd want a bit
more information about it.  How do they communicate with the host?  Does
the host actually need to configure them at all, or is the configuration
all done through the device's web interface?

I couldn't find configuration guides at all anywhere, so I can't really
figure it out myself.

Dan