Re: Wifi sharing

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 22:37 +0100, Michael Below wrote:
> Sorry, too much traffic for me, unsubscribing. I'd be happy if you
> contact me off-list about the Wifi sharing functionality.
>
> (So far I haven't found a single person successfully using
> networkmanager for wifi sharing, so something like "yes, I have managed
> to configure an access point" would be a fine start...)

Full AP-mode (ie, Infrastructure) support was added after NetworkManager
0.9.6 and will be in the next release.  It also requires a reasonably
new version of wpa_supplicant, at least anything 1.0 or later should
work.

NetworkManager 0.9.6 and earlier only support ad-hoc mode "hotspot"
functionality, and WPA is disabled here because there are kernel driver
bugs that make your supposedly ad-hoc WPA hotspot actually be created as
an open/unencrypted hotspot, which isn't cool.  Thus only open and WEP
are supported.

There's ongoing work to also add RSN IBSS (ie, WPA2 Ad-Hoc) support for
hotspots in NetworkManager, which is useful if your hardware doesn't
support full AP mode which even a lot of recent cards don't.  That has
yet to land.

Dan